The Natural History Museum of Crete is part of the University of Crete, Greece, aiming to study, conserve, promote and protect the natural history environment of Crete and eastern Mediterranean.
NHMC is constantly working on:
- raising awareness on seismic risk
- inform and educate citizens on disaster risk reduction and response
- developing temporary and permanent exhibitions on natural disaster
- implement projects and activities related to natural disaster reduction
- implementation of PATCH E.C. project on protection of Cultural Heritage
- development and implementation of RACCE E.C. project on raising awareness and cope with children emotions
- Participation in global and regional DRR activities
- IRIS Seismographs in schools
- UK School seismology project
Establishment of NHMC a central point to inform on Natural Disaster through its exhibition hall
- NHMC has develop several educational activities related to the earthquake simulator
- Has implemented training activities to volunteers nad civil protection actors under PATCH project
-Has developed the RACCE Museum Kit and RACCE travelling exhibition, all in mobile form to be shared and travel far away from museum
- implements edu project for schools on disaster reduction.
- Implementation of PATCH and RACCE projects
- Permanent exhibition with 30degrees of freedom modern, earthquake simulator implementing special educational programs.
- RACCE temporary exhibition