World Vision is a Christian relief and development organisation working to create lasting change in the lives of children, families and communities living in poverty. World Vision serves all people regardless of religion, race, ethnicity or gender.
Founded in 1950, WV currently works in around 100 countries around the world, assisting communities with programs and projects in health, education, agriculture, micro-enterprise development, economic assistance, disability, capacity building, and emergency relief and disaster mitigation. Importantly, activities are tailored specifically to the communities needs, encouraging community participation and ownership, so they become agents of their own development.
As a child-focused organization, WV’s work focuses on children, ensuring they are protected and their basic needs are met.
Disaster Reduction Goal
* To strengthen capacity and resilience for communities so that they can effectively manage and mitigate the effects of disasters and crisis that they and their children face
Policies and Programmes in DRR
- “Reducing Flood and Storm Vulnerability in Quang Ngai Province” under Vietnam Australian NGO Cooperation Agreement (VANGOCA)-completed.
- DIPECHO-funded \"Strengthening Integration of Community-Based Disaster Risk Management into Area Development Programs\" Project- completed.
- WV Australia-funded \"Strengthening Integration of Community-based Disaster Risk Reduction & Climate Change Adaptation into Area Development Programs\" Project (SICCA) - completed.
- AusAID-funded \" Coastal Areas of Thanh Hoa Province Resilient to Natural Disasters\" Project (CATREND): on-going.
- ADH-funded \" Building Resilience through Implementation of CBDRM\" Project (BRICK): on-going
- AusAID-funded \" Community-based Adaptaion in Ca Mau Province\" Project (CBA): in pipeline.
- Integration of Disaster Risk Reduction - Climate Change Adaptation (DRR-CCA) into lifespan of 42 (+) long-term Area Development Programs.
Membership in Key Networks
- Disaster Management Working Group, Climate Change Working Group in Vietnam,
- AADMER Partnership Group
Making disaster risk reduction a policy priority, institutional strengthening (HFA 1)
- Community-Based Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation planning mainstreamed at district, commune, village and household levels
- Child-focused Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation promoted
- Strengthen the capacity for the lcal partners to implement the Gov\'s national CBDRM program (1002) and integration of DRR/CCA in to local socio-economic development planning
- Support to implementation of AADMER
Risk assessment and early warning systems (HFA 2)
- Household and Hamlet Disaster Risk Reduction Plans (DRRPs) Developed, using the Hazard Vulnerability Capacity Assessment (HVCA) Methodology;
- Improved local early warning system
Education, information and public awareness (HFA 3)
- Increased awareness on Community-Based Disaster Risk Reduction (CBDRR) and Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) among local partners and communities
- Enhanced participation of local private business in climate change mitigation
Reducing underlying risk factors (HFA 4)
-Small-scale mitigation infrastructure in hamlets constructed, reinforced or planted;
- Sustainable forest development and protection in the community promoted
- Alternative income generation opportunities for vulnerable households facilitated
- Climate resilient and adaptive livelihoods promoted
Preparedness for effective response (HFA 5)
- Enhanced capacity of local rapid response teams and fire brigades
- Simulation, drills for rapid response teams, children and communities
Disaster Risk Reduction Focal Point(s)
Le Van Duong, National Humanitarian & Emergency Affairs (HEA) Coordinator