Preparedness for effective response (HFA 5)
1. Disaster preparedness plans and contingency plans are in place at all administrative levels.
2. Stockpile of relief materials in warehouses at the six zonal offices and the NEMA headquarters.
3. Financial reserves and contingency mechanisms are in place to support effective response and recovery when required.
4. Operations and communication centres were established.
5. Procedures are in place to exchange relevant information during hazard events and disasters, and to undertake post-event reviews.
6. NEMA has registered some relevant NGO's, CSO's, FBO's and CBO's with interest in DRR activities.
7. Strengthening capacity building of stakeholders
8. Sub Regional, Regional and International collaboration (Gambia Government, World Food Programme, UNSPIDER, Bournemouth University, etc);
9. Conducted National Capacity Assessment for Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR) and Disaster Risk Reduction in collaboration with UNOCHA, United Nations System and other development partners;
10. Strengthening disaster preparedness for effective response at all levels (Simulation exercises, drills, equipments, assessments, etc). Regular training drills and rehearsals are held to test and develop disaster response programmes.
11. Zonal Sensitization Campaign;
12. Conducted Post Disaster Needs Assessment (PDNA) of the 2012 flood disaster in Nigeria.
13. Expert meetings to digest 2013 NIMET Seasonal Rainfall Prediction for Early Warning Dissemination
14. National Consultative Workshop on 2013 Flood Prevention, Mitigation, Preparedness and Response in Abuja (26th -27th March, 2013)
15. Zonal Consultative Workshop on 2013 Flood Prevention, Mitigation, Preparedness and Response (on-going).