To generate a fuller menu of programmatic options at different levels of development for effective socio-economic growth and development.
To increase the use of evidence-based advocacy for influencing regional intergovernmental organisations, national and local governments, and development and humanitarian agencies in developing and implementing policies and interventions that improve the impact and quality of DRR and CCA initiatives in managing vulnerability and poverty in the region
1. Integrate disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation into sustainable development policies and planning at regional, national and local levels in order to deepen the impact on poverty and vulnerability.
2. Create a platform for proactive leveraging of policy and resources flow to DRR and CCA in the region through research and information sharing, policy seminars and workshops, coalition building, social and political mobilisation, and DRR and CCA Accountability seminars.
3. Create a critical mass of advocacy specialists to influence decision makers in East and Central African governments and regional intergovernmental organizations.
4. Build on existing links and relationships with international and regional bodies, governments, development and humanitarian organizations to deliver a consistent approach to DRR and CCA.
Facilitating through technical support the evolution and growth of viable and sustainable community institutions and initiatives.
1. Enhancing project feasibility and viability through identification and development of local leadership, entrepreneurship and participatory strategies with inbuilt mechanisms for risk assessment and management.
2. Identify and develop implementation agents for innovative development, sustainable, commercially viable and profit oriented disaster risk reduction initiatives.
Promotion of evidence based sensitization, communication and awareness raising designed to widen and deepen the understanding of climate change, risk assessment and management for sustainable development
Promotion of community training of trainers and field brigades for rapid response
Entrepreneurship education and training designed to create opportunities during disaster