To work as a think tank for the government by providing policy advice and facilitating capacity building services including strategic learning, research, training, system development and expertise promotion for effective disaster preparedness and mitigation.
Disaster Reduction Goal
1. To be a premier institute of excellence for training and research in disaster risk mitigation and management and to be recognized as one of the leading institutions at the international level in this field.
2. To strive relentlessly towards making a disaster free India by developing and promoting a Culture of Prevention and Preparedness at all levels.
Policies and Programmes in DRR
1. Develop training modules, undertake research and documentation in disaster management and organize training programmes
2. Formulate and implement a comprehensive human resource development plan
3. Assistance in national level policy formulation
4. Assistance to training and research institutes for programme development for various stakeholders
5. Assistance to state governments in formulation of policies, strategies, framework for capacity building
6. Develop educational materials
7. Promote awareness among stakeholders
8. Undertake and support research, conferences, publications on various aspects of DRR.
Membership in Key Networks
Sphere India (a network of humanitarian collaborative process)
Making disaster risk reduction a policy priority, institutional strengthening (HFA 1)
1. NIDM is secretariat to National Platform on DRR.
2. Policy support to national and state governments
3. Technical support to state governments and local bodies for policy and plan formulation, capacity building in DRR
4. Formulation and implementation of National Human Resource Development Plan in DRR
5. Brainstorming and advocacy for elected representatives
Risk assessment and early warning systems (HFA 2)
1. Micro-zonation studies and seismic risk analysis
2. Rapid Visual Screening of buildings
3. Geo-Informatics research studies
Education, information and public awareness (HFA 3)
1. India Disaster Knowledge Network
2. Regular training in all aspects of DRR to all stakeholders
3. Training of master trainers for School Safety
4. Media interactions and workshops
5. Online training programmes for greater outreach
6. Policy dialogues among stakeholders
7. Awareness strategy and IEC initiatives
8. Templates and toolkits for mainstreaming DRR into development.
9. Training programmes on Gender, Coastal Hazards, Geo-informatics, urban risk mitigation, minimum standards of relief, community based disaster management.
Reducing underlying risk factors (HFA 4)
1. Technical support to organizations for sustainable ecosystem development
2. Technical support in capacity building in reducing physical and socio-economic vulnerability.
3. Technical assistance in planning, recovery strategies, need analyses and risk transfer mechanisms
4. Corporate sector collaboration for CSR in DRR
Preparedness for effective response (HFA 5)
1. Incident Command System Training of master trainers
2. Training for NCC, NSS, volunteers
3. India Disaster Resource Network
1. NIDM organized the launch of the South Asia campaign on Making Cities Resilient
2. HFA mid-term review in 2010
View our training calendar
Making Cities Resilient Campaign Activities
Launch of the campaign in South Asia.
Disaster Risk Reduction Focal Point(s)
National Focal Point for SAARC Disaster Management Centre