• Do more with your content!Discover PreventionWeb Services
  • Philippines: Disaster council urges local government, schools to be prepared for calamities

    Email sent!

    An email has been sent to the email addresses provided, with a link to this content.

    Thank you for sharing!


Philippines: Disaster council urges local government, schools to be prepared for calamities

Source(s):  Philippine Information Agency (PIA)

San Jose, Antique -- The local government units (LGUs), schools, and communities are urged to brace for disasters and calamities with the onset of rainy season.

“With the onset of rainy season, we need to be prepared for possible flash floods, landslides, and related disasters especially in high risk and vulnerable areas,” said Broderick Train, Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction (PDRR) Management Officer.

Disaster preparedness trainings like rescue, earthquake, and fire drills is a year round campaign but schools need to prioritize the preparedness of their facilities plus the fact that schools also serve as evacuation centers according to Train.

With the opening of classes, children spend most of their time in schools, thus campaign for disaster preparedness should also begin in Day 1, the source said.

“We bank on the schools to teach children some basic guidelines on disaster preparedness at the same time encouraged parents to reinforce some insights at home,” he added.

Train likewise disclosed that a number of communities in Antique are high risk areas and vulnerable to disaster and calamities. These barangays are located in the towns of San Remigio, Hamtic, Sibalom, Culasi, Barbaza, Valderrama, and Pandan.

PDRRMC enjoined all local officials, (barangays, municipalities, and provinces) to activate their risk reduction councils and implement disaster risk reduction and mitigating measures as provided for in Republic Act No. 10121 or the Philippine Disaster Risk Reduction and Management System.

The province of Antique has about P36-million calamity fund, 70 percent of which could be used for disaster risk reduction and mitigation programs while the remaining 30 percent will be used for rescue and relief operations. (JCM/PSM-PIA 6, Antique)

Add this content to your collection!

Enter an existing tag to add this content to one or more of your current collections. To start a new collection, enter a new tag below.

See My collections to name and share your collection
Back to search results to find more content to tag

Log in to add your tags
  • Publication date 11 Jun 2012

Please note:Content is displayed as last posted by a PreventionWeb community member or editor. The views expressed therein are not necessarily those of UNISDR PreventionWeb, or its sponsors. See our terms of use