World Bank, the (WB)
The World Bank is calling for innovative ideas to solve challenges in disaster recovery and reconstruction, ahead of the World Reconstruction Conference, the first large-scale global conference to focus on natural hazard recovery and reconstruction. The event will take place in Geneva Switzerland from 10-13 May 2011, as part of the Third Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction.
Who can participate?
Anybody with an innovative project for disaster recovery and reconstruction! The World Reconstruction Conference Innovation Competition is open to all individuals, teams, and organizations (NGOs, private companies, or public entities). What is it about? New and innovative ways of addressing challenges in disaster recovery and reconstruction play an important role in natural disasters. To help identify and tap the best of these innovative approaches, an Innovation Competition – New Approaches to Disaster Recovery and Reconstruction is being held from February to May, 2011 as an integral part of the World Reconstruction Conference and the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (May 10-13, Geneva, Switzerland). The focus of the competition is on innovation in services, products and approaches that have been implemented at the local level in disaster recovery and reconstruction.
The aim is to:
- showcase innovative and new solutions developed in the wake of disasters;
- develop awareness for their use in other and future recovery operations;
- provide a space to build partnerships to address key challenges in scaling up and replicating.
Sectors of interest include but are not limited to: housing, water and sanitation, education, health, energy, transportation, information and communication technology (ICT), monitoring and evaluation, environment, governance and institutional strengthening.
What do I win?
- All qualified entrants will be asked to submit a poster following the submission of the entry form. These posters will be displayed in a public space during the full duration of the conference.
- In addition, all posters will be published in a brochure and globally distributed.
- 3-5 of the most innovative submissions will be selected by a panel of conference partners and invited to participate in the WRC and Global Platform (May 11th ) and present their initiatives.
Travel and accommodation of the winners will be provided.
How do I apply?
Step One Participate!
Download and complete the entry form.
Submit 1) completed Entry Form and 2) a photo or illustration of your project to: firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 2011 at 5pm Eastern Time.
Step Two - Share!
In addition to the entry form, you have the option of uploading any videos and presentations to support your entry onto the WRC website for others to see and discuss. This is optional but if you have it, share it! It's a great way to get people to learn about your idea.
Step Three Be Creative!
An International Panel of Judges will be reviewing entries. All qualified entrants will have a chance to submit Posters that will be showcased at the Conference and published in a brochure for global distribution (due March 7, 2011). The posters should be either 20”x”30” (50cm x 75cm) or 24”x36” (60 cm x 90 cm). The organizers will arrange for courier pick up or posters can be submitted online. Be as creative as you like!
The top 3-5 most innovative entrants will be invited to the World Reconstruction Conference to present at a dedicated session on May 11, 2011. Travel and lodging will be provided.
Deadline: March 1, 2011