The American Red Cross (ARC) Tsunami Recovery Program (TRP) has been established to direct the organization’s response to the South Asia tsunami disaster. The TRP activities focus on integrated community recovery and preparedness interventions in tsunami-affected countries in Asia and East Africa in collaboration with Red Cross and non-Red Cross partners. The Monitoring & Evaluation Delegate will develop and carry out the objectives of the American Red Cross recovery and mitigation framework in Indonesia’s Aceh Province.
- Provide technical assistance in the design, monitoring and evaluation of TRP activities in Indonesia.
- Determine the relevant M&E systems based on needs, donor and ARC senior leadership requirements, resources and capacities.
- Ensure the quality of quantitative and qualitative methods and participatory methodologies used to monitor program quality.
- Ensure integration of cross-cutting themes, such as gender equity and environmental protection, in the M&E designs.
- Liaise with counterparts at international, government, non-government agencies involved in related tsunami response programs and collaborate in promoting high quality results and complementary efforts.
- Ensure effective and relevant M&E systems are incorporated into projects and proposals considering technical suitability, donor requirements, resources and capacities.
- In conjunction with program managers, develop project-specific monitoring tools.
- Coordinate/manage the design and implementation of baseline, mid-term and end of project evaluations, surveys, special studies, and other components of the M&E system as technical assistance needs arise.
- Routinely perform quality control checks of M&E work and improve processes and practices relating to M&E data analysis and management.
- Prepare and train staff, primary stakeholders, and implementing partners, as necessary, on general design, M&E concepts, skills and tools.
- Work with project managers and Head of Programs to ensure that lessons learned from project and program evaluations influence future project selection, design and implementation.
- Work closely with the Regional TRP M&E Advisor (Bangkok) and Senior M&E Advisor for International Services (at National Headquarters) to meet Indonesia and larger TRP M&E needs (i.e. overall project reporting system, strategic planning, M&E tools, and program best practices).
- Work with staff and external consultants in meeting the M&E needs of Indonesia as needed.
- Facilitate strategic planning reviews, as needed.
- Support external evaluation missions.
- Ensure the quality and timely submission of all required project reports (to National Headquarters, to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, to the Indonesian Government, and others)
- Advanced degree in social and/or management sciences or public health
- Proven analytical skills; quantitative skills desirable
- Proven mentoring/coaching skills and an ability to work across a broad spectrum of team members with varied understanding of M&E concepts and methodologies
- A minimum of five years related experience required; including at least two years overseas experience in a non-English speaking country
- Experience conducting and/or supervising needs assessments and surveys, data analysis, project design, and evaluation required; preferably for both relief and development programs
- Solid project management experience needed. Experience in Asia preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to adopting a learning approach
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills required