The Norwegian Red Cross mission is to reveal, prevent and alleviate human suffering and distress. An important area of work for the International Department is disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation (DRR and CCA). To further develop our work within this field we are recruiting an Adviser/Senior Adviser for DRR and CCA. The position is the Unit for External Resources and Policy. The position is based in Oslo.
The position reports to the head of Unit for External Resources and Policy. The Unit currently consists of nine staff. The mandate of the Unit is to develop the long term strategies and policies of the international work of the Norwegian Red Cross. The unit also maintains the strategic dialogue with partners within the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement and external partners, such as, the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Environment, Norad, the Norwegian Storting, other national and international humanitarian organizations, and universities and research institutes.
• Focal point towards the MFA on the implementation of the three year Framework Agreement (2012-2014) on DRR/CCA. Responsible for follow-up and/or implementation of programmes and initiatives under this agreement. Maintain dialogue with the MFA on strategic priorities under the agreement. Support the Programme Unit and Disaster Management Unit in project development. Disseminate achievements within DRR/CCA to relevant actors.
• Focal point for and responsible for representing the Norwegian Red Cross in DRR/CCA relevant working groups etc within the Movement.
• Responsible for developing analysis on humanitarian trends relating to DRR/CCA and recommend policy options.
• Contribute to the overall strategic policy processes in the Unit.
• Be responsible for and contribute to the development of policy positions on parliamentary white papers (Stortingsmeldinger), official Government policies etc.
• Be responsible for and contribute to grant applications and reporting on current agreements.
• Focal point and responsible for contact and networking with relevant national and international partners.
• Higher education (MA/MSc or equivalent) within relevant fields
• Previous knowledge of the Red Cross/Red Crescent is preferred.
• Experience in international humanitarian work
• Strong oral and written skills in Norwegian and English
• Experience in project management
• Structured, attention to detail and focus on quality are essential combined with strong result based management and implementation skills
• Comfortable with ambiguity, ability to work in a high-profile fast-paced environment, flexibility to adapt to constantly changing dynamics
• Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks and work to tight deadlines
Norwegian Red Cross offers
• Valuable and challenging work experience in the world’s largest humanitarian movement with the opportunity to contribute to further developing the Norwegian Red Cross international work in a dynamic and interesting environment
• Salary/benefits according to the Norwegian Red Cross’ salary system and relevant qualifications
• Membership in ”Statens Pensjonskasse”
Candidates with minority background are encouraged to apply.