Information and Knowledge Management for Disaster Risk Reduction (IKM4DRR)
United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction
Over the past five years, the domain of disaster risk reduction (DRR) has evolved significantly and has emerged as a topic of global interest and importance. The global dialogues around climate change adaptation (CCA) are also closely linked to DRR.
As a result, there has been a corresponding development and evolution of information and knowledge management systems in the DRR and CCA domains at the global, regional and national levels.
A 2012 workshop in Bangkok entitled “Enhancing linkages between DRR Project Portal and DRR related knowledge management/information management systems in Asia and the Pacific Region” showed that many countries and regional organizations are now beginning to develop national DRR information portals as well as CCA information portals, and that there is a clear need to improve the coordination and efficiency and effectiveness of information and knowledge management in the DRR and CCA domains.
The PreventionWeb site was recently evaluated and recommended to evolve from being an information aggregator to becoming an active knowledge broker. The time is right to strengthen national and regional DRR coordination mechanisms and improve the connections with similar initiatives on climate change adaptation.
The session objectives are to:
• Strengthen the information and knowledge management capacity of National and Regional Platforms for DRR.
• Facilitate knowledge sharing among information management professionals and increase collaboration between DRR and CCA portals.
• Launch a global IKM4DRR network and confirm its roles and responsibilities in support of information and knowledge management for DRR and CCA.
Note: This invitation-only event is now closed.
1. Identify the IKM needs and requirements for National and Regional Platforms and national coordinating mechanisms as well as measures for implementation.
2. Improve the understanding of knowledge brokering in the DRR and CCA domains.
3. Share knowledge of best IKM practices.
4. Discuss and brainstorm how to address common issues and challenges.
5. Develop information and knowledge management principles for DRR and an IKM4DRR framework towards 2015 and beyond to support national and regional DRR coordination.