The European Forum for Disaster Risk Reduction serves as forum for exchanges at the regional level. The European Forum for Disaster Risk Reduction facilitates discussion and advances on disaster risk reduction issues in a coordinated fashion at the regional level.
Disaster Reduction Goal
The EFDRR serves as the regional platform for disaster risk reduction aiming to increase the ability to create a safer Europe by reducing risks and vulnerability and to prevent the creation of new risks.
The EFDRR shares the following objectives:
- provide advocacy for effective actions to reduce the risk of disaster and prevent the creation of new risks by contributing to the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030 (Sendai Framework);
- support the National Disaster Risk Reduction Focal Points and the creation and enhancement of National Platforms by addressing their coordination role aligned with the Sendai Framework towards building resilience to disasters at the national level;
- encourage coordination, coherence and enhanced monitoring on progress, including through peer reviews, in disaster risk reduction actions; and
- facilitate exchanges among European countries on the implementation of the Sendai Framework for increased political space and enlarged opportunity of innovation in disaster risk reduction.
Policies and Programmes in DRR
The EFDRR addresses:
- the gap areas identified in the 10-year report of the Sendai Framework implementation in Europe;
- the Sendai Framework areas of priority;
- areas and activities identified by European National Platforms and National Disaster Risk Reduction Focal Points;
- serving as a venue for preparation of the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction through its Open Forum meetings; and
- sharing of experiences, challenges and achievements among and between actors engaged in building resilience to disasters.
The EFDRR has developed a Road Map (short- and long term) for the implementation of the Sendai Framework that highlights priority areas and related activities.
In addressing the core substantive areas of work, the EFDRR will:
- increase awareness on disaster risk reduction as an integral aspect of sustainable development and adaptation to climate change, recognizing that it is “everybody's business”;
- enhance commitment of policy-makers and decision-makers to implement the Sendai Framework, encourage engagement of national and regional actors, private sector, NGO’s, science and the public, to promote joint activities towards disaster risk reduction;
- enhance coordination of relevant national and regional actions in disaster risk reduction;
- foster understanding of Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030 reporting mechanisms; and
- identify specific opportunities for cross-fertilization between countries and sub-regions for exchanging knowledge and information, as well as inter-government and inter-sectoral cooperation.
The EFDRR will also:
- facilitate the identification of common needs and action programmes;
- encourage information sharing, exchange of knowledge and ideas and facilitation of cooperation;
- encourage exchanges, twinning and joint activities among National Disaster Risk Reduction focal points and National Platforms in Europe and with other regions;
- learn from past experiences and sharing of good practice;
- provide practical suggestions for regional and sub-regional initiatives in support of national and community efforts to reduce disaster risk in coherence with the practical guidance of the Sendai Framework “Words into Action” implementation guides;
- benchmark where countries can seek guidance from others who have already achieved desired results;
- foster the use of science and innovative technologies in DRR within member countries;
- review the development of regional reports on Sendai Framework implementation and advocate national reporting on the progress through the UNISDR monitoring tool;
- promote key events that can advocate for disaster risk reduction; and
- serve as venue for preparation for Global Platform sessions.
Disaster Risk Reduction Focal Point(s)
The EFDRR consists of the National Disaster Risk Reduction Focal Points and representatives of National Platforms in the European region, UNISDR Europe Office, Council of Europe (EUR-OPA), European Commission, and sub-regional organizations/institutions as agreed by the forum.