NIER is aiming to achieve the following:
(1) To present findings obtained from scientific surveys, analysis, and predictions of worldwide situations surrounding education for Japan's future policies. The findings should be used to plan and design strategic educational policies in the mid and long term.
(2) To conduct scientific surveys of and analyze the current situation and social background for solutions to urgent political issues. The outcomes should be used to plan and design educational policies which flexibly address social needs.
(3) To give help, support and advice about social and school education activities where necessary.
(4) To gather, file and store educational information, data, and documents and make available to interested parties in Japan and abroad.
(5) To collect knowledge and promote information sharing for educational research with bodies in Japan and abroad. This can be done by implementing international education cooperation, holding conferences, and conducting joint research studies.