The primary objectives of the LTWA are to provide a comprehensive cultural resource centre and to promote an environment that encourages research and an exchange of knowledge between scholars and students. These factors are of the utmost importance in a contemporary world shaped by political and spiritual confusion. In trying to fulfill its objectives, the library's priorities include:
- Acquiring and conserving Tibetan books, manuscripts, artifacts and works of art.
- Providing access to books, manuscripts and reference works (in Tibetan as well as in foreign languages) in study areas within library.
- Compiling bibliographies and documentation of library holdings and related literature available worldwide.
- Providing copies and prints of library holdings and acting as a reference centre for such source materials.
- Publishing books and manuscripts under the library imprint.
- Supporting research and study of the Tibetan language, both classical and modern.