DRR is a key component in Plan’s Disaster Management Strategy and is also a global priority for developoment programme work.
Plan aims to ensure DRR is a national and local priority with strong institutional basis. Plan's programmes:
- focus on education as a primary means to build a culture of resilience;
- aim to enhance adaptive capacity and address root causes of vulnerability;
- strengthen disaster preparedness at all levels.
Programme strategies include:
- strengthening national education policies on school safety with DRR curricula and teacher training covering DRM and EiE;
- promoting child protection, gender equity and active citizenship within national policy frameworks;
- production of child-centred DRR guidelines and tools that are designed to strengthen provision and capacity for engaging children in DRM processes at local and school level;
- encouraging increases of government funding for DRR espcially at local government level;
- promoting increasing capacity and coordination among stakeholders in building resilience;
- and maximising opportunities during disasters to help governments and other humanitarian actors to ‘build back better’