The Global Network of Civil Society Organisations for Disaster Reduction is a major international network of non-governmental and not-for-profit organisations committed to working together to improve the lives of people affected by disasters world-wide.
Disaster Reduction Goal
Increasing the effectiveness of civil society to contribute towards the building of resilient nations and communities - putting the concerns, needs and priorities of vulnerable people at the heart of disaster risk reduction policy and practice.
Policies and Programmes in DRR
- 'Views from the Frontline’ (VFL): a participatory multi-stakeholder engagement process designed to monitor, review and report on critical aspects of “local governance” considered essential to building disaster resilient communities. VFL has been conducted in 2009 and 2011. “Views from the Frontline shifted the agenda at the Global Platform 2009 to focus on the implementation of national DRR policies at the local level.” Margareta Wahlstrom, UN-ISDR
- Local level action and learning, including consultations, multistakeholder workshops and web based learning and sharing.
Making Cities Resilient Campaign Activities
The Global Network supports the Making Cities Resilient Campaign in a variety of ways including. GNDR secretariat supports and commits to the campaign to the full membership. Encourages participation in the campaign and advocates for building mutually beneficial partnerships between local government and civil society organizations. Develops memberships inputs through sharing of local experience, expertise and capacities in the design, management and implementation of urban disaster risk reduction projects. Supports in developing better tools and methodologies for urban risk reduction. Facilitates membership inputs to “Expert Panels” and consultation groups. Encourages greater involvement of local practitioners in relevant regional and international policy forums, seminars, conference and workshops.
Disaster Risk Reduction Focal Point(s)
- Regional coordinating organisations in 11 functional regions in Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Pacific
- National coordinating organisations in 70 countries within the above regions
8 Waldegrave Road, Teddington TW11 8HT London United Kingdom
GP 2013 delegation
GP 2011 delegation
GP 2009 delegation
Conferences: - 5th AFRP
- 6th AMCDRR
- UNISDR Science and Technology Conference
- Health and DRR Conference