The history of the Government of India Presses dates way back to the year 1862 when the Government had established a Central Printing Office at Calcutta and later added one more Unit at Shimla (1872) and also at Rashtrapati Bhawan in 1872 (originally established at Calcutta as Press to the Private Secretary to the Viceroy). The Directorate of Printing had six printing Presses in pre-independence period. With the manifold increase in Government activities, since it became difficult to cope with the printing needs of the Government of India, the number of printing presses were increased all over the country. Today, the Directorate of Printing has 16 Government of India Presses including three Text Book Presses set up with the gifted machinery / equipment of the then Federal Republic of Germany (FRG). It is basically a service Department running on “No Profit No Loss” basis and is dependent largely on jobs from various Ministries / Departments of the Government.