ActionAid Bangladesh's mission is to work with poor and excluded people to eradicate poverty and injustice. AAB believes that an end to poverty and injustice can be achieved through purposeful individual and collective, led by the active agency of people living in poverty and supported by solidarity credible rights based alternatives and campaigns that address the structural causes and consequences of poverty.
Disaster Reduction Goal
People living in poverty have the capacity to protect themselves from hazards & climate impacts, and influence the development of resilient mechanisms, systems, and institutions to ensure dignity and justice.
Policies and Programmes in DRR
Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Justice is one of the strategic priorities of ActionAid Bangladesh. the current programmes focuses on
- Piloting Flood Early Warning System (with IUCN)
- Supporting people's movement for protection from tidal surge
- Climate Resilient Hand-loom Factory
- Flood registrant cluster village for the landless people
- policy research and advocacy on DRR and Climate Change
- tracking negotiation process of DRR, Climate Change and SDGs
Membership in Key Networks
Climate Action Network South Asia (CANSA)
Action Research on Community based Adaptation (ARCAB)
National Alliance for Risk Reduction and Response Initiatives (NARRI)
National UN Cluster on Emergency Response, Relief & Rehabilitation, Shelter, Health, Education, Food
Making disaster risk reduction a policy priority, institutional strengthening (HFA 1)
Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change is a one of the 8 Strategic Priorities of ActionAid Bangladesh. ActionAid Bangladesh invests in evidence based policy advocacy as well as building capacity of local government and local institutions.
Risk assessment and early warning systems (HFA 2)
- conduced study on Community Based Early Warning for flood prone areas
- community risk assessment is one of the major criteria for all community led programmes
Education, information and public awareness (HFA 3)
- Education is one of the key Strategic Priorities
- Implemented the Disaster Risk Reduction through School (DRRS)
- developed IEC materials for raising awareness of the CBOs, youths and childern
Reducing underlying risk factors (HFA 4)
- Underlying risk factors of like power relation within societies are addressed by all development initiatives taking by ActionAid Bangladesh
Preparedness for effective response (HFA 5)
- for last 30 years of operation in Bangladesh, ActionAid has been preparing communities to deal with shocks and hazards.
- has strong liaison with the Government of Bangladesh in assisting preparedness for effective response.
- Women leadership in DRR and CCA
- Convergence of DRR & CCA
- Youths in emergency response (community volunteers)
Making Cities Resilient Campaign Activities
- People's movement for protection from tidal surge
Disaster Risk Reduction Focal Point(s)
Sajid Raihan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Abdul Alim (email@example.com)
Tanjir Hossain (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Nasir Uddin (email@example.com)