Periperi U is a partnership of African universities that spans across the continent and is committed to building local disaster risk related capacity. Established in 2006, with five original members, the partnership has grown to include eleven universities from Algiers to Antanarivo, with institutions in Algeria, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Mozambique, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania and Uganda.
Disaster Reduction Goal
The goal of Periperi U is to reduce disaster risks in among African countries through improved national and local disaster risk management, due to enhanced strategic human capacity to integrate risk reduction into critical developmental sectors and programmes. The partners of Periperi U believe this can accomplished through building and embedding sustainable ‘multi-tasking’ capabilities in disaster risk and vulnerability reduction capacity building in ten selected institutions of higher learning in Africa consistent with global disaster reduction priorities reflected in the Sendai Framework.
Membership in Key Networks
Periperi U is associated with the following institutions and networks:
- IRDR (Integrated Research on Disaster Risk) - Periperi U is one of IRDR's International Centres of Excellence in Risk Education and Learning (ICoE REaL)
- USAID - Periperi's U has been funded by USAID for almost 10 years
Risk assessment and early warning systems (HFA 2)
Periperi U partners have conducted numerous Risk assessments in their home countries.
Education, information and public awareness (HFA 3)
Periperi hosts a number of disaster risk related training and university level education programmes and degrees. These include;
ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES OFFERED BY PERIPERI U PARTNERS IN 2016/2017
Department of Disaster Risk Management & Sustainable Development, Bahir Dar University
- Bachelor’s programme in Disaster Risk Science & Sutainable Development
- Masters in Disaster Risk Management & Sustainable Development
Department of Community Health and behaviour Sciences, Makerere University
- Masters in Public Health in Disaster Management
Risk reduction Project, Moi University, Kenya
- Masters in Public Health (MPH)
Disaster Management Training Centre, Ardhi University,
- Masters in Disaster Risk Management (MDRM)
Centre d’Étude et de Recherche Economique pour le Développement (CERED), University of Antananarivo
- Diplôme d’études supérieures spécialisée Multidisciplinaire en Gestion des risqué et des Catastrophes (Masters in Multidisciplinary Disaster and Risk Management)
Unidade de Producao e Gestao de Riscos de Desastres (UPGRD), Universidade Técnica de Moçambique (UDM)
- Licenciatura em Engenharia Ambiental e Gestão de Desastres (BSc Honours in Environmental Engineering and Disaster Management)
- Programa de Mestrado em Educação e Desenvolvimento (Masters in Multidisciplinary Disaster and Risk Management)
Research Alliance for Disaster and Risk Reduction (RADAR), Stellenbosch University
- Postgraduate modules on Disaster Risk Studies
- Masters in Disaster Risk Science and Development
- Centre for Disaster Risk Management and Development Studies, Ahmadu Bello University
MSc in Disaster Management
Diploma in Disaster Management
The Department of Geography and Resource Development, University of Ghana
Undergraduate Modules in Disaster Risk Reduction:
- Theories and Analytical Methods for Integrated Disaster Risk Reduction
- Policies & Strategies for Integrated Disaster Risk Reduction
Postgraduate Modules in Disaster Risk Reduction:
- Concepts and Methods in Advanced Integrated Disaster Risk Reduction
- Applied Integrated Disaster Risk Reduction in Urban Ghana
UFR de Sciences Agronomiques, dÁquaculture et de Technologie Alimentaires, Gaston-Berger University
- Master en Prevention et Gestion des Risques Lies a la Securite Alimentaire en Afrique (Pgrsa) (Masters in Prevention and DRR related to Food Security in West Africa)
Built Environment Research Laboratory (LBE), University of Science & Technology, Houari Boumediene
- Masters in Science in Earthquake Engineering and Disaster Risk Management
Disaster Risk Reduction Focal Point(s)
Develop active teaching and training, research and policy advocacy capacity in Africa on disaster risk and vulnerability reduction
Build capacity to provide at least 2-4 short courses annually in disaster risk management, vulnerability reduction, food/livelihood security or subjects relevant to risk and vulnerability reduction in their country.
Develop innovative and stimulating undergraduate and/or graduate programmes related to reducing or managing the risk and vulnerabilities within Africa.
generate applied research outputs related to risks and vulnerabilities that increase local understanding and improve the risk management.