The Centre has been established to address the demands of integrated sustainable research and development of mountainous areas of Pakistan.
For this purpose, major objectives of the Centre are to serve as:
- A documentation centre on integrated mountain research and development based on systematic exchange of knowledge and experiences
- Focal point for mobilization, conduct, and coordination of applied and problem-solving community- oriented integrated research.
- An innovative base for training on skills applicable in integrated mountain research and development;
- A consultative centre to provide expert services on integrated mountain research and development
- A forum for specific attention to highlands- lowlands interaction zones and ultimately extending to Plain areas.