Leading New Zealand in reducing risk, being ready for, responding to, and recovering from emergencies
Disaster Reduction Goal
- Increasing community awareness, understanding, preparedness and participation in civil defence emergency management.
- Reducing the risks from hazards to New Zealand.
- Enhancing New Zealand's capability to manage civil defence emergencies.
- Enhancing New Zealand's capability to recover from civil defence emergencies.
Policies and Programmes in DRR
- Monitor and evaluate the Government’s National Civil Defence Emergency Management Strategy.
- Develop, monitor & evaluate the National Civil Defence Emergency Plan.
- Monitor local government and national agencies with responsibilities for civil defence emergency management
- Develop, in consultation with relevant stakeholders, any national guidelines, codes, or technical standards for civil defence emergency management.
- Promote and advise on civil defence emergency management to the public, central and local government and other relevant agencies.
- Identify hazards and risks of national significance and, in a state of national emergency, direct and control its management.