United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. setting and reporting
This position is located in the Africa Regional Office, of the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction. The incumbent reports to the Regional Coordinator.
• Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; monitor and analyse programme/project development and implementation; review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and propose corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; identify and track follow-up actions.
• Provide guidance to national governments on development and strengthening multi-stakeholder national platforms in line with the Hyogo Framework for Action, the Africa Ministerial Declaration and Programme of Action for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), and considering existing national development programmes, United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and other related strategies including assisting United Nations (UN) country teams, development partners and governments in reviewing and/or formulating programme/plans.
• Prepare reports and various written outputs based on information gathered and analysis; draft reports and background papers; provide inputs to publications, etc. Undertake research and studies, report and present information gathered from diverse sources; identification of information needs or gaps and preparation of impact evaluation reports.
• Provide guidance for the implementation of disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation, including policy development and dialogue, prioritizing long term multi sectoral and holistic disaster risk reduction resilience initiatives and the use of science and technology tools in relation to Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation, including data-sharing, space/based earth observation, climate modelling and forecasting. Support risk assessments, mappings, multi-risk elaboration and dissemination.
• Contribute substantively to partnership development, to the implementation of the Africa Strategy and Programme of Action and support the mechanism for coordination; Promote cooperation with intergovernmental organisations, specialised entities, UN partners, civil society, academia, experts and practitioners to ensure a complementary and integrated approach for Disaster Risk Reduction, preparedness, response and recovery.
• Perform consulting assignments and strengthen collaboration with the Regional and Sub-regional Inter-Government Organizations in Africa, National Platforms for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and other United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR) system partners to advise about the implementation of the Hyogo Framework of Action and Africa Strategy and Programme of Action for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and develop related capacities; Participate in related field missions.
• Raise awareness for disaster risk management in Africa; Support the implementation of resilient cities campaign, safe schools and hospitals and promote investment in Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR)
• Undertake outreach activities and represent the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction in Africa; Conduct training workshops, seminars, make presentations on assigned topics/activities,organize events and conferences; Identification of agenda topics relevant to Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), actors and participants, preparation of documents and contribute to report.
• Strengthen donor relations of UNISDR Africa and resource mobilization. Keep donors uptodate and informed about UNISDR programmes, projects and activities in Africa. Initiate and organize donor meetings and strengthen donor collaboration; identify funds and project opportunities, design and formulate project proposals. Contribute to project formulation, identify gaps, propose corrective actions and facilitate for donor
• Perform other duties as required by the supervisor.
-Shows pride in work and in achievements-Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter-Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results -Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns
-Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges
-Remains calm in stressful situations
-Speaks and writes clearly and effectively-Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
-Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
-Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
-Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
-Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required-Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work-Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
-Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
-Uses time efficiently
-Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients " and seeks to see things from clients' point of view
-Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
-Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
-Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems-Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
-Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in development studies, environment, international relations, business administration or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration ,development , economics, environment, humanitarian, coordination or related areas.
Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of French language is an advantage.
Competency based interview and other assessment method.
Extension of appointment is subject to availability of funds
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS.