AECOM International Development seeks a Community Engagement Specialist for an anticipated USAID Coastal City Adaptation Program (CCAP) to be based in Maputo, Mozambique. The goal of the program is to increase urban coastal resiliency to climate change by incorporating climate change into their planning processes and undertaking adaptive measures in response to capacity building activities, performance-based incentives and public advocacy in targeted municipalities. Main program objectives include:
• Improve the provision of climate-resilient urban services by municipalities;
• Increase adoption of climate resilience measures by communities and community organizations, i.e., civil society, nongovernmental, faith-based organizations, etc;
• Increase access to risk-sharing tools, i.e., insurance plans, contingency funds, etc., for at-risk urban infrastructure and livelihoods.
The Community Engagement Specialist will be responsible for leading community climate change awareness and resilience efforts for the project. S/he will work with vulnerable communities to envision and implement solutions to adopting climate change resilience measures.
Duties and responsibilities
• Reach out to local communities to promote the program and introduce ways to participate in and shape activities;
• Hold locally-based meetings to gain feedback about program activities;
• Assess local receptivity to program activities in targeted regions; and,
• Provide feedback to program leadership on local input and feedback for planned activities.
Required skills and experience
• Graduate degree in a relevant field or;
• A Bachelor’s Degree and 5 additional years of community mobilization engagement experience;
• At least 5 years community mobilization/engagement or similar experience;
Fluency in Portuguese required and English preferred.