The Hyogo Framework of Action (HFA) calls upon regional organizations with a role on DRR related to their mandates, priorities, and resources, including the promotion of regional programmes and establish regional collaborative centers to undertake research, training, education and capacity building in the field.
The United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR) and the Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport (AASTMT) of the League of Arab States, under the chairmanship of the Executive Bureau of the Council of Arab Ministers Responsible for the Environment (CAMRE) and the Islamic Executive Bureau for Environment, jointly launched a Regional Centre for Disaster Risk Reduction on 4 March 2009, hosted by the AASTMT in Cairo.
During the Second Meeting of the Governing Board, the esteemed Members endorsed the proposed outline for a 3-year Strategic Business Plan 2011 – 2013 for RCDRR that was presented by the Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR) of the World Bank.
The plan focuses on four clear lines of business aiming at achieving the RCDRR objectives. These four lines are: 1) Enable policy and planning for disaster risk reduction in the region, 2) expand education and training opportunities to build a culture of prevention in the region, 3) enable access to knowledge and practices relevant to the region, and 4) just-in-time advisory services.
RCDRR seeks to recruit a GIS Analyst to work on the third business line entitled “Building Capacity to manage disaster risk and climate change data, and enabling access to knowledge and DRM practices relevant to the region.”, under the supervision of the Disaster Risk and Climate Change Knowledge Programme Leader. The Programme Officer shall report directly to the leader.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Disaster Risk and Climate Changes Programme Leader, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks:
• Contribute effectively to implement RCDRR Risk Knowledge Strategic work plan that aims at building capacity, enabling access to disaster risk and climate change knowledge and DRM practices relevant to the Arab & Islamic Region.
• Provide support to the technical team for their probabilistic risk modeling activities in different projects in the region.
• Deployment and maintaining of a system for use of geospatial data on the basis of GeoNode platform and other Open source. Contribute to the Implement and maintain GeoNode Projects, as part of RCDRR Data for Resilience Initiative.
• Contribute to the installation, implementation and maintaining of Disaster loss database in the region (DesInventar).
• Contribute to the preparation of consolidated project proposal, progress reports, studies analysis, project briefings and other relevant monitoring information to inform DRR partners, donors, and Directors.
• Deliver orientation training sessions & seminars on DRR and the application of the GeoInformatics, Global Data sharing Platforms in DRR & CCA.
• Participate to the other components of Disaster Risk and Climate Change Knowledge programme as needed.
• Contribute to the implement of result-based DRM projects in region.
• Participate to the other components related to the Disaster Risk and Climate Change Knowledge programme as needed.
• Conduct any other duties requested by Programme Leader or the Executive Director
Required skill and experience
• Diploma of Engineer in Geomatic, Environmental science or related field,
• Have at least two years experience with a focus on GIS and its applications in Disaster Risk Assessment using probabilistic approach.
• Environmental background, with knowledge of Disaster Risk Management cycle, Risk assessment process and climate change issues.
• Strong GIS skills (at least two years experience) with an excellent knowledge of GIS / WEBGIS, advanced spatial analysis, spatial modeling of hazard, vulnerability.
• Strong programming /scripting skills using python, C, C++, Visual Basic.
• Strong knowledge of RDBMS skills including development skills
• A basic understanding and experience of the use of earth observation data and processing techniques.
• The ability to think and solve problems
• Excellent verbal / written communication skills
• Genuinely excited and enthusiastic about learning and pushing technical limits / finding new solutions
• Good writing skills - for documentation, training, processes
• Ability to write technical documentation
• Strong communications skills, ability to contribute to trainings and give effective presentations
• Experience with design and/or cartography desired
• Knowledgeable in data management in relational database.
• Fluent in Arabic, English and/or French.