SEI seeks a skilled manager and communicator familiar with the Mekong Region to coordinate its Asia Centre’s two flagship regional programmes: the Sustainable Mekong Research Network (Sumernet) and the Regional Climate Change Adaptation Knowledge Platform for Asia (AKP).
Established in January 2004, SEI’s Asia Centre coordinates SEI activities in Asia and works closely with national and regional partners. It aims to produce top-quality research on natural resource management, climate and development issues in the region while building local knowledge and capacity through extensive outreach, collaborations and partnerships.
The Regional Programmes Coordinator will monitor and manage the Sumernet and AKP programmes and work to strengthen their research and outreach networks. He/she will report directly to the Sumernet and AKP Programme Managers/Leaders, under the supervision of the Asia Centre Director.
Specific responsibilities include:
Network development and management:
• Maintain regular contact with collaborating researchers, stakeholders and networks, to provide support and ensure effective implementation of projects and activities.
• Draft and supervise the execution of all performance contracts, and manage programme monitoring and evaluation.
• Monitor the overall financial processes and procurement for projects, and work with project partners to ensure proper accounting and financial reporting.
• Support fundraising activities.
• Manage and contribute to the writing and production of annual reports and other programme documents.
• Develop and maintain the research partners databases for Sumernet and AKP.
Outreach and communications:
• Working with the SEI communications team and programme partners, coordinate communications about research outputs, programme news, events and general updates, both internally and externally. This includes producing materials for the Sumernet, AKP and SEI websites, as well as media outreach.
• Coordinate and facilitate capacity-building and network development activities with programme partners.
• Organize outreach events to disseminate research and engage with regional stakeholders and policymakers.
The Regional Programmes Coordinator should be a seasoned professional with expertise in research project management, policy communications and outreach. (S)he should have a strong commitment to protecting the natural environment and improving human well-being, and be an excellent writer, cross-cultural communicator, networker and manager.
Knowledge of key development needs and challenges in the Mekong Region and across Southeast Asia is also important – preferably backed up by experience working on social and environmental issues in the region.
In addition, the job requires:
• Master’s degree in geography, natural resources management, development studies, political science, international relations, business administration, or other relevant field.
• At least 10 years’ professional experience coordinating multi-country development or research partnerships or programmes.
• A track record in fundraising, as well as knowledge and experience with the procurement and financial procedures of bilateral or multi-lateral agencies.
• Fluency in oral and written English, including the proven ability to write materials for a range of audiences and communication platforms. Knowledge of at least one Asian language is desirable.
• Appropriate technological skills, including proficiency in MS Office applications and database management.