Vacany Announcement Number: 12/GS/INT&EXT/28
United Nations Core Values:
Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Created in December 1999, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction and secretariat of the International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR) is the designated focal point in the United Nations system for the coordination of disaster reduction and to ensure synergies among the disaster reduction activities of the United Nations and regional organizations and activities in socio-economic and humanitarian fields. Led by the United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction, UNISDR has around 100 staff located in its HQ in Geneva, Switzerland, and 5 regional offices and other field presences. Specifically, UNISDR coordinates international efforts in disaster risk reduction, and guides, monitors and reports on the progress of the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action; campaigns to create global awareness of disaster risk reduction benefits and empower people to reduce their vulnerability to hazards; advocates for greater investments in disaster risk reduction to protect people's lives and assets, and for increased and informed participation of men and women in reducing disaster risk; and informs and connects people by providing practical services and tools such as Prevention Web, publications on good practices, and by leading the preparation of the Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction and the organisation of the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction.
Duties and responsibilities
This post is located in Human Resources and Administration Unit, of the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Risk Reduction secretariat (UNISDR). Under the supervision of the Programme Management Officer, the incumbent will:
• Enters and maintains administrative data and records for time and attendance, performance appraisal etc in electronic information systems.
• Support in the processing of consultant and individual contractor contracts.
• Generates a variety of standard statistical and other reports, work orders, etc.
• Maintains up-to-date work unit files including files of a confidential nature (both paper and electronic)
• Assists in the filling of posts by providing logistical support in the assessment process, including contacting applicants and following-up on participation.
• Provides logistics and administrative support for staff development and career support training.
• Performs general administrative tasks to include preparing and/or processing administrative requests/documents (e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests/claims, expenditure authorizations, visa applications, etc).
• Provides general office support services; drafts a variety of correspondence and other communications.
• Undertakes research on a range of administrative related issues and assists in the preparation of reports.
• Assists in other related administrative duties as maybe required by the unit and resource management service.
• Support and backstop other team assistants in the unit during their absence.
Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results, and remains calm in stressful situations.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
Planning and organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources to complete work; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as required.
Considers all those to whom services are provided as “clients” and seeks to see things from their point of view; identifies clients’ needs and matches appropriate solutions; keeps client informed of progress or setbacks in projects.
• Completion of secondary school or its equivalent commercial school.
• At least 3 years of administrative experience, of which 2 preferably within the United Nations.
Fluency in oral and written English.