The American Red Cross International Services Department (ISD) seeks to prevent and alleviate human suffering around the world by responding to disasters, building safer, more resilient communities, and educating future humanitarians. In the coming years ISD will deepen and expand its programming while also working to strengthen the global Red Cross network, in order to deliver vital help and hope to some of the most vulnerable communities around the world.
Two years after the January 12, 2010 earthquake in Haiti, the American Red Cross is transitioning its operation from relief to recovery/development through an Integrated Neighborhood Reconstruction and Recovery Program called LAMIKA (A Better Life in My Neighborhood) in Creole which will support local urban development in Carrefour Feuilles, Port-au-Prince. The program will enhance community and household resiliency through sustainable and integrated interventions that provide cohesive, healthy, habitable, and secure living space/conditions. LAMIKA will focus primarily on the reconstruction and upgrading of two neighborhoods in Carrefour Feuilles, Port-au-Prince; Campeche and Baillergeau.
This is a full time position for a minimum of 366 days with the possibility of extension. This is an unaccompanied post.
The LAMIKA program goal is supported by three objectives and their pertinent framework:
• Social Empowerment:
- Strengthen the Haitian Red Cross volunteer network
- Strengthen health and disaster risk mitigation services in targeted communities
- Build social cohesion through the involvement of communities and stake holders
- Capacity building of communities, CBOs, service providers and local stakeholders
• Economic Strengthening:
- Increase income and asset generation opportunities for neighborhood residents
- Contribute to strengthening the local economy through the restoration of livelihoods
- Provide vocational training in project relevant aspects
- Improve food security and nutrition
• Physical Renewal:
- Access to safe and healthy living environment through infrastructure, WatSan, and housing improvements:
- Rebuilding of alleyway, roads, drainage canals, public areas, housing, community and public buildings repair and reconstruction.
- Construct and facilitate access to essential public services, such as water, sanitation and waste management.
The American Red Cross (ARC) Haiti Assistance Program (HAP) seeks an experience Program Manager to manage and oversee ARC’s LAMIKA program.
The successful candidate will work with the leadership of the ARC Haiti field office to manage the program. The LAMIKA Program Manager will report to the Deputy Country Representative and will work closely with the Haiti Country Representative, ARC delegates and other staff in the Port-au-Prince office as well as with the HAP team and technical advisors in the National Headquarters (NHQ) in Haiti.
S/he will be expected to manage the ongoing development, planning, implementation and management of all components of the LAMIKA program. Tasks will include writing implementation plans, hiring and managing staff, overseeing the implementation of individual projects and developing effective and efficient administrative processes.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Develop the LAMIKA program portfolio including the following:
- Collaborate closely with relevant technical advisors designated to support the integrated approach of LAMIKA, such as community development, health, water and sanitation, disaster preparedness and risk reduction, livelihoods, and environment
- Develop the implementation and operations plans for individual initiatives oManage the review process for individual initiatives
- Ensure the coordination of input in program design from support departments in the field (and NHQ when appropriate)
- Collaborate closely with relevant technical sectors, such as community development, health, water and sanitation, disaster preparedness and risk reduction, livelihoods, and environment to support the integrated approach of LAMIKA
- Coordinate receipt and review of assessments and integrate findings into program design
- Participate in the hiring process for staff to implement LAMIKA
• Ensure the day to day management of the LAMIKA program portfolio including the following
- Manage the LAMIKA implementation staff
- Collaborate with the relevant technical advisors to ensure implementation according to design or include required modification/s.
- Coordinate with relevant team members in Haiti (and NHQ when appropriate) to: Establish and manage payment procedures; Budget management;
- Coordinate with relevant team members in Haiti (and NHQ when appropriate) to: Identify and select vendors and/or contractors; Draft and execute contracts; Establish and manage RFP and RFA processes as appropriate; Identify and establish procurement procedures for goods and materials as appropriate; Establish contract management procedures;
• Monitor, track and follow up on the LAMIKA program
- Ensure programmatic, timeline and financial compliance of the program; including project start-up, agreements, budget oversight, compliance with monitoring and evaluation and reporting standards.
- Perform site visits to ensure quality program implementation of both directly implemented programs and of partner implemented programs
- Maintain strong communications with ARC field staff and NHQ
- Support the monitoring, periodic and final evaluations of the LAMIKA program in coordination with relevant departments in Haiti and NHQ. This includes working to ensure adequate development of indicators
- To ensure lessons learned are documented and shared and work to ensure programs are modified based on new learning
- Submit monthly and quarterly reports
• Manage relationships
- Coordinate and manage relationships with the Government and local authorities, partner organizations and contractors implementing projects as appropriate
- Represent ARC as necessary in internal and external meetings
• Any other relevant activities
• Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
• Minimum of 7 years relevant experience and at least 1 year of management experience required.
• Experience in construction management, civil engineering, architecture, engineering, or international development strongly preferred.
• Knowledge in at least two of the following areas is strongly preferred: slum upgrading, housing or shelter construction, water and sanitation, owner driven home reconstruction approach and community mobilizing in urban settings
• Experience in Haiti or in developing countries required
• Experience establishing and managing contracts in the construction industry, including FIDIC guidelines is an advantage
• Familiarity with current standards in emergency response, in particular Sphere standards
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and achieve results through collaboration are required.
• Must have excellent computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including Microsoft Office Project.
• Fluency in written and oral English, oral French and/or Creole is required.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer