The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian network, reaching 150 million people each year through its 187 member National Societies. The Organisation acts before, during and after disasters and health emergences in order to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people. Their work is guided by seven fundamental principles (humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality) and by Strategy 2020, which voices their collective vision and determination to move forward in tackling the major challenges that confront humanity in the present decade.
Purpose of position:
The Disaster Response and Food Security delegate works as part of the country Federation team and is accountable, under the direction and guidance of the Program Manager, for leading and managing the disaster response operations in the Lac, Kanem and Hadjer Lamis regions, covering the key tasks and responsibilities set out below. Disaster Response delegates also work in a wide range of response preparedness activities. He will be specifically responsible for blanket feeding, Nutrition/Food security monitoring and community resilience activities.
Description of key duties and responsibilities:
• Ensure that rapid, professional and well coordinated response against food crisis in the Lac, Kanem and Hadjer Lamis regions is provided by the NS. Contribut to enhance the local branches to implement efficient community resilience activities for food security risk reduction.
For that, the delegate will:
• Assist the CRC to implement an effective response to the food crisis in the Lac, Kanem and Hadjer Lamis regions,
• Assist CRC in planning, coordinating and monitoring activities relating to the operation of assistance for victims of food crisis in three regions targeted by Chadian Red Cross with the Representation of Federation support;
• To support the national society in training of volunteers from the Branchs and community leaders involved in the operation;
• Assist the NS in the preparation, organization and blanket feeding distribution in the three targeted regions; including early detection of malnutrition cases
• Support the NS in the planning, coordination, monitoring and evaluation of the woman association activities at commnity level (agricultural production, income generating activities, live stack distribution, etc.) ;
• Prepare accurate and timely reports in accordance with Secretariat requirements, formats and standards.
• Coordinate Federation activities on disaster response with Red Cross partners, WFP and other agencies/NGOs to ensure adequate preparedness and appropriate, efficient and timely response on the field (Lac, Kanem, Hadjer Lamis).
• Support national society contingency planning in close co-ordination with other key humanitarian organizations at regional and country level.
• Participate to the food security cluster meetings in close collaboration with the operation manager.
• Define and determine role of team members, including specific roles and responsibilities for each member involved in the operation.
• Promote and help to facilitate the continual training of NS' human resources.
• Represent the Federation to authorities, ICRC, OCHA and other UN agencies, and other international and national organizations within the mandate of the key tasks and responsibilities set in this job description.
Duties applicable to all staff:
• Actively work towards the achievement of the Secretariat's goals.
• Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Red Crescent principles.
• Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager.
• Basic Delegate Training Course or equivalent knowledge
• Relevant advanced university degree
• 3 years experience in international disaster response operations
• 3 years experience in Food security and in conducting surveys and monitoring
• 3 years project management
• 3 years experience managing & supporting local and international staff
• 2 years in finance management, preferred
• 3 years of working for the Red Cross/Red Crescent or membership organization, preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
• Excellent computer skills (Windows XP, word-processing, databases and other programmes) and any advanced software such as SPSS or other software for multivariate studies
• Valid international driving licence (manual gears)
• Project management skills
• Advanced level of French & Arabic. Good working knowledge of English
• National Society Relations
• Results Focus & Accountability
• Professional Mastery
• Managerial effectiveness