The Red Cross Societies of Barbados, Grenada, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago are implementing the regional project called Caribbean Red Cross Societies: Saving Lives, Enabling Healthy and Safe Living with the support of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), the French Red Cross, the Finnish Red Cross, the Canadian Red Cross, the Japanese Red Cross and the Netherlands Red Cross. This project is co-financed by the Office of Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection of the European Community (ECHO), within the framework of the DIPECHO Programme 2011-2012.
The overriding objective of the DIPECHO Programme is to reduce risk by better preparing the vulnerable populations in the areas most affected by recurrent natural hazards.
One of the priorities of this programme is to develop Country Profiles for disaster risk reduction. This will require a better understanding of the main hazards, factors of vulnerability, resources available for disaster management, along with the determination of country specific criteria for more strategic identification of the most vulnerable communities in each country. The process and resultant profile will allow the government, the Red Cross Societies and other stakeholders to understand the risks and to better determine their contribution and role in community disaster risk reduction in the coming years.
To contribute to the successful implementation of the project ‘Caribbean Red Cross Societies: Saving Lives, Enabling Healthy and Safe living’ in Suriname, and to facilitate a collaborative process, necessary for the development of draft Country Profiles in the countries of Barbados, Grenada, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname and Trinidad & Tobago.
Duties applicable to all staff:
• Work towards the achievement of overall goals of the operation in the Region, through effective managerial and lateral relations and teamwork.
• Ensure understanding of roles, responsibilities, lateral relationships and accountabilities.
• Perform other work related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the supervisor
Overall tasks and responsibilities
Assist in the management of all aspects related to the ECHO funded Suriname Red Cross CBDM and Federation Regional Disaster Preparedness projects. This includes but is not limited to the following activities:
• Assist the Suriname Red Cross in producing regular, accurate and timely financial and narrative reports for the Netherlands Red Cross, the Federation and for donors through mentoring and training in project and financial management as well as reporting
• Assist NS/OSB to improve their co-operation with the relevant government agencies and in liaising with international agencies and organizations through the development and promotion of their National level DP/DRR platforms.
• Establish links and work towards co-ordination and co-operation between other relevant NS/OSB, or, Federation initiated programs for effective use of resources.
• Strengthened Caribbean NS Disaster Management units by providing guidance on operational structure and member’s roles and responsibilities.
• Provide guidance and training to Caribbean National Societies in volunteer management strategies and techniques, and support development and implementation of corresponding tools and systems.
• Support Caribbean NS to develop DM strategies and work plans (3-5 yr) with associated HR and budget needs following the implementation of the WPNS.
• Assist Caribbean NS to establish a fundraising strategy for disaster management work plan with the objective of increasing the resources secured nationally and internationally for disaster risk management activities (community based DM and disaster preparedness and response)
• Participate in the ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the Project in order to achieve all the project activities within the allotted timeframe
• Ensure that all expected results of the project are accomplished in a timely manner according to established timeline.
For the development of the draft of the country profiles, the expected results are:
Five draft Country Profile documents based on an agreed standard template, in coordination with UNISDR, possibly tailored to the specific context of each country articulated in close collaboration with the National Disaster Office and other stakeholders. For each country the profile should include available information on:
• Legal framework for disaster management
• History of events/disasters and their impact on the country
• Hazard assessment and prioritization
• Vulnerability analysis
• Country capacities and gaps
• Lessons learned for replication in other Caribbean countries.
Support tasks; additional duties that support the CRRO as a team
• Suggest improvements or efficiencies that could be implemented.
• Be familiar with the Caribbean Regional Representation Office (CRRO) programs and objectives.
• Understand and practice the Principles of the Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement
Education and experience
• Masters Degree
• 3 years experience in relief / development work in the Caribbean.
• 3 years experience in project cycle management.
• Documented skills in computer applications: Word Processing, Spreadsheets
Skills and knowledge
• Excellent practical knowledge of computers (Windows, spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail, Internet)
• Experience of training others
• Experience of Disaster management programming and/or community development work
• Experience in Project Management
• Experience in working in an International Organizations
• Experience in Budget preparation and control
• Experience in Problem Resolution
• Experience in Systems Analysis and Development
• Experience within the Red Cross Movement
• Experience in managing or supporting ECHO grants
• Familiarity with the concept of Climate Change
• English and Dutch required, French preferred
• High degree of integrity, discretion, and personal conduct
• Able to work in a team
• Flexible and adaptable to changing working conditions
• Willing and able to travel whenever required for work purposes
• Self-motivated and proactive, with good judgment and initiative
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Able to prioritize and meet deadlines