The City of Iloilo city is the capital of the province of Iloilo and located in the southern shores of Panay Island. Iloilo City has suffered flood damages due to its geographical conditions which lie on the plains of the mouths of the rivers. Projects funded by the Japanese government through JICA fundamentally upgraded its resilience against flood by constructing river floodway and broadening the rivers. In addition, Iloilo city supported by JICA drew hazard maps with the participation of the communities to promote risk reduction. However, measurable outputs of the community based adaptation and resiliency activities against floods are yet to be achieved in addition to enhancing the roles of the communities.
Making the communities ready for natural disasters and related incidents will greatly reduce the vulnerability of the communities and the cost for recovery. As one natural disaster may trigger multiple issues including outbreak of diseases, it is vital for the local communities to not only understand the risks but to know how to act accordingly in order to minimize the potential hazards. The city of Yokohama is capable and ready to support the City of Iloilo enhance “Community Based Adaptation and Resiliency Against Disasters” utilizing its experience in disaster risk reduction in cooperation with communities for more than 16years.
Community Based Adaptation and Resiliency Against Disasters aims to devise effective community-level adaptation and resiliency schemes in the city of Iloilo and increase awareness on the citizens part for self-sustaining the community in an event of a disaster particularly in relation to floods.
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher in social sciences, disaster management, community work, or relevant fields
• Three (3) years or more experience working with communities/barangays on social work, especially on disaster risk management or related discipline
• Experience working with local government unit (LGU)
• Experience coordinating workshops, seminars, training sessions and conducting surveys
• Experience working or active involvement in disaster-related activities in the Philippines
Technical and Language Requirements
• Proficient in using MS Word, Excel, and other communication applications
• Experience using publication application for designing brochures, leaflets and reports
• Having reliable and immediate access to internet facilities
• Possession of own laptop computer
• Fluent and professional writing experience using English (reports and articles)
• Fluent in the local dialect (Bisaya)
• Strong communication skills, including demonstrated written and presentation skills and the capacity to relate to different project partners
• Understanding of project management in international organizations
• Basic communication skills in Japanese
• Previous working experience with JICA, Japanese International NGOs, or other INGOs
Duties and responsibilities
• In coordination with CITYNET and the Iloilo City Government :
- Create a plan to survey targeted barangays on disaster management programmes
- Coordinate seminars or workshops to raise awareness on disaster management activities
- Prepare monthly progress reports on the activities conducted and report to the Supervisor that will be assigned
• Work with barangay captains and other members of the community to fulfill the project goals and objectives
• Plan and coordinate activities with Iloilo City Government to fulfill the expected outcomes as listed below
• Perform other tasks as required by CITYNET and Iloilo City Government for the Project.
• Formulation of working strategies and identified roles of the local government, NGOs, CBOs, and the communities to react in an event of a disaster
• Involving upstream and downstream Barangays and cities for better knowledge sharing and building cohesive resiliency programme
• Provide assistance and support to the Iloilo City Government for the:
- Inclusion of sound practices in the disaster manuals of the schools, hospitals, local markets, restaurants, office buildings and community centres;
- Awareness raising campaign to the City Officials and Residents on the actual conditions and problems due to flood and other natural disasters in the community
- Establishment of disaster prevention scheme in target communities
- Strengthening of health and sanitation practices at households and in schools
- Training of the members of Barangay Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (BDRRMC)
- Drafting of lists of hazards prevalent in each Barangay
- Training of the first responders in each Barangay capable of handling specific emergency scenarios and provide timely response
• Prepare a Consolidated and Final Report of the entire Project at the concluding period.