To provide technical advice and support to the consortium members (Action Aid, Concern and Dan Church Aid) and partners in the implementation of the - ‘Building Disaster Resilient Communities’ – a DIPECHO funded DRR project led by DCA.
Main duties & responsibilities
Note: The Advisor will be expected to provide equal time for each of the three consortium members (and their local partners) in the implementation of this project. Although for administration purposes Concern will manage the Advisor, the Management Committee comprising the Country Directors of all three agencies will review the performance of the Advisor.)
Specific duties and responsibilities are as follows:
• Technical assistance in project implementation
- Provide sound technical assistance during the development detailed implementation plans for all consortium members and their partners to ensure compliance with approved project plans. Periodically review these action plans to ensure compliance with the project log frame.
- Provide regular mentoring and coaching support to Consortium members and partners for the implementation of the ‘Building Disaster Resilient Communities’ project.
- Contribute technical assistance to the realization of Consortium’s specific commitments under the Joint Action Group (JAG) as well as support and guidance to the broader work of JAG.
• Liaison and coordination
- Work closely with the Consortium Coordinator and the focal persons of all the three consortium members to ensure appropriate allocation of time for all the three members and their partners and provision of timely advice for smooth implementation of the project.
- Provide technical support and guidance to Programme staff of consortium members and partners in strengthening DRR liaison and coordination at Provincial level and district levels.
- Provide technical advice and necessary support to the consortium in its support to NCDM to strengthen the work of the DRR national forum
• DRR programme development
- Provide strong technical support and guidance to all consortium members in the development of their individual project plans within the overall framework of the ‘Building Resilient Communities’ project and help them rollout their respective parts of the project responsibilities.
- Provide strong technical advice and support for the proposed Action Research for the development and expansion of Community Based DRR models based on the work of consortium to date.
- Provide technical advice and support for documentation of the Action Research on the CBDRR models for wider sharing of this learning across various stakeholders
- Provide guidance to the consortium members and partners on practical applications of DRR and Climate Change Adaptation
- Provide member specific requests and requirements of the consortium members and partners within the allocated time provisions and as appropriate.
• Monitoring and evaluation and learning
- Work in close coordination with the Consortium Coordinator in developing a detailed implementation plan for the M&E requirements of the ’Building Resilient Communities’ project. This will include developing appropriate reporting tools in consultation with the focal points of the members of the consortium and partners to ensure that reporting formats are understood and used by all concerned DRR staff and LNGO partners.
- Provide regular feedback on the technical aspects of the reports produced.
- Undertake periodical monitoring visits to project locations covered by the consortium members and their LNGO partners and provide technical support and feedback.
- Provide technical support needed for the facilitation and implementation of scheduled evaluation activities in close collaboration with the Consortium Coordinator and consortium focal points.
- Contribution to the preparation of budget reports to donors
• Donor reporting
- Provide support as required by the Consortium Coordinator in the preparation of interim and final narrative reports for DIPECHO, as well as for any other updates as required by the donor.
• Capacity building of Consortium members and partner NGO/GO staff
- Assess consortium members’ and partners’ capacity for integrating DRR into their community level programming and develop appropriate interventions to address priority gaps.
- Facilitate in-house training for programme staff of the consortium members to strengthen knowledge on DRR and climate change adaptation. Work with staff of consortium members and assist them in guiding partners on practical application of integrating DRR and Climate Change Adaptation in their programming.
• Postgraduate qualification in rural development, community development, social sciences or other relevant discipline.
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in the planning and implementation and evaluation of community-based disaster risk management
• Experience working in partnership with national / local NGOs and governmental and other civil society actors.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and networking skills
• Excellent report and proposal writing skills in English
• Confidence and representational skills and strong facilitation skills
• Computer literate
• Commitment to equality objectives and working towards the transformation of the lives of the poor.
Education, Qualifications & Experience Required:
• Technical qualification in community based disaster management
• Previous experience of the DRR sector in Southeast Asia region
• Proven experience of donor reporting and donor budget management experience with ECHO/DIPECHO guidelines and procedures
• Previous experience of working in a consortium
Special Skills, Aptitude or Personality Requirements:
• Excellent English skills, both written and verbal
• Proven ability in report writing, research and documentation and proposal writing.
• Ability to review budgets and expenditure and match these with narrative reports
• Ability to work on own initiative
• Experience of community development and doing field based research using participatory techniques.