Job opening number: ISDR/T/03/2012
The position is located in the Africa Regional office of the UNISDR secretariat.
Under the overall guidance of the Regional Coordinator, the Programme Officer will:
• Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; monitor and analyse programme/project development and implementation; review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and propose corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; identify and track follow-up actions.
• Provide guidance to national governments on development and strengthening multistakeholder national platforms in line with the Hyogo Framework for Action, the Africa Ministerial Declaration and Programme of Action for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), and considering existing national development programmes, United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and other related strategies including assisting United Nations (UN) country teams, development partners and governments in reviewing and/or formulating programme/plans.
• Prepare reports and various written outputs based on information gathered and analysis; draft background papers; provide inputs to publications, etc. Undertake research and studies, report and present information gathered from diverse sources; identification of information needs or gaps and preparation of impact evaluation reports.
• Provide guidance for science and technology development in relation to Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation, including data-sharing, space/based earth observation, climate modelling and forecasting. Support risk assessments, mappings, multirisk elaboration and dissemination.
• Contribute substantively to partnership development, to the implementation of the Africa Strategy and Programme of Action and support the mechanism for coordination; Promote cooperation with intergovernmental organisations, specialised entities, UN partners, civil society, academia, experts and practitioners to ensure a complementary and integrated approach for Disaster Risk Reduction, preparedness, response and recovery.
• Perform consulting assignments, in collaboration with the Regional and Sub-regional Inter- Government Organizations in Africa, National Platforms for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and other United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR) system partners to advise about the implementation of the Hyogo Framework of Action and Africa Strategy and Programme of Action for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and develop related capacities; Participate in related field missions.
• Raise awareness for disaster risk management in Africa; Support the implementation of resilient cities campaign, safe schools and hospitals and promote investment in Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR)
• Undertake outreach activities and represent the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction in Africa; Conduct training workshops, seminars, make presentations on assigned topics/activities; Identification of agenda topics relevant to Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), actors and participants, preparation of documents and contribute to report.
• Support and carry out activities related to planning, budgeting and funding; Elaborate project proposal, submissions and fund raising activities; Contribute to define regional work and cost plans to meet partners requests, the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction programme for Africa and Africa Strategy and Programme for Action.
• Perform other duties as required by the supervisor.
• Ability to plan, research and analyse issues and topics related to current events. Ability to draft and compile a variety of written communication products in a clear, concise style. Ability to interact with the public in order to build and maintain effective business connections.
• Speaks and writes clearly and effectively .Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
• Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing
• Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently
• Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in development studies, environment, international relations, business administration or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration, development, economics, environment, humanitarian, coordination or related areas.
• Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of French language is an advantage.