General description of the programme
GOAL has been in Haiti for over 2 years and continues to support communities to recover from the 2012 Earthquake and Cholera outbreak. The programme will be focused on recovery from these twin emergencies and also begin developing a longer term development programme. The programme has three core sectors. Community Development, Economic Development and WASH. The aim is to be operational in all three sectors in Port au Prince and Gressier.
GOAL’s new Community development programme has 4 central pillars:
• Urban Planning
• Building Back Better (through training and campaigning)
• Owner Driven Household Rehabilitation (Repair, Rebuild and Retrofit including a Household Wash solution)
• Community Disaster Risk Reduction
The WASH programme continues to support households when a cholera case arises and well as supporting communities and local government to put in place more sustainable strategies to manage cholera. GOAL’s exit strategies from camp support continue to be implemented in Port au Prince.
GOAL Haiti are also laying the foundations for an economic development programme which will be a core sector in the longer term.
GOAL Haiti currently employees 170 national staff and 15 expatriates.
General description of the role
Overall the ACD-P is responsible for the development of the programme and the quality of programme delivery. Experience in delivering quality programming, on time and on budget are key requirements of a successful applicant.
Integrating service delivery between all three programming sectors at a community level is central to the role of the ACD-Programmes. The ACD-P has responsibility for line-managing each of the sector leaders as well as the programme support coordinator and M&E Manager.
The ACD-P has responsibility for ensuring that the cross-cutting agenda (DRR, Gender, Government Capacity building) is appropriately embedded in programme design and implementation.
Proposal writing & reporting
• Input into proposals from a programme perspective and coordinate and manage proposals when needed. Assist the CD and programme managers in all aspects of GOAL Haiti’s reporting activities to Head Office (HO) and donors. Oversee the production and submission of interim and final donor reports and monitor programme progress. Input into these documents will originate from the programme teams and will include contributions made by the Financial Controller (FC) and CD.
• The ACD-P should provide leadership in the design and delivery of GOAL Haiti’s programmes. Understanding the needs, challenges and priorities of the current programme as well as understanding the next steps for the programme at a community level are key responsibilities. The ACD-P is held responsible for the quality of programme delivery and output and ensuring that GOAL is delivering to our communities of operation in an integrated and unified way. Supporting the development of in country expertise in each sector and supporting a national staff capacity building agenda are important parts of the role. Overall the ACD-P has responsibility for ensuring that programmes are well designed, deliver on time and on budget, are appropriately monitored and evaluated, deliver as expected to our communities and are appropriately reported to donors.
Monitoring and evaluation
• Oversee donor and internal reporting. Support the development of appropriate M&E and programme management tools and systems. Develop internal mechanisms for institutional learning and memory. Improve the quality of services provided, through support supervision of key staff, analysis and dissemination of M&E data and lessons learnt, and review of GOAL and other best practice guidelines;
Financial management and accountability
• Assist with the financial management of programme budgets with the assistance of the FC. Carry out detailed reviews of monthly management accounts and donor status reports with the FC. Assist where required with in-country donor financial audits.
• Manage GOAL’s programme staff and ensure that all staff have relevant objectives, job description and that performance reviews take place.
• Ensure the safety and security of all GOAL field staff at all times Establish good communication and networks
• Delegate for the CD in liaison with government partners, regional and local authorities; donors; local agencies etc. at all levels of project implementation as required.
• Support the CD in the development of publicity materials, including project and programme brochures, case studies and press releases.
• Minimum of 5 years or more previous overseas management experience in humanitarian assistance/development programmes, at least 1 year of which must be at senior management level.
• Experience of managing large teams of people
• Experience of liaising with donors, contractors, suppliers and government officials.
• Strong writing skills and ability to write quality donor proposals and reports.
• Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements.
• A willingness to accept basic living conditions.
• Budgetary control and financial management skills.
• Fluent French or Kreyol is a key advantage.
• Good team player, capable of working with a multinational country team.