GOAL has been in Haiti for over 2 years and continues to support communities to recover from the 2012 Earthquake and Cholera outbreaks. The programme will be focused on recovery from these twin emergencies and also begin developing a development programme. The programme has three core sectors. Community Development, Economic Development and WASH. The aim is to be operational in all three sectors in Port au Prince and Gressier.
GOAL’s new Community development programme has 4 central pillars
• Urban Planning
• Building Back Better (through training and campaigning)
• Owner Driven Household Rehabilitation (Repair, Rebuild and Retrofit including a Household Wash solution)
• Community Disaster Risk Reduction
The Community Development Coordinator will require a strong technical understanding of community and household reconstruction in a post disaster reconstruction environment as well as possessing proven management skills and the ability to build the capacity of national staff.The Community Development Coordinator will line-manage each of the program managers and be responsible for the Community Development Department’s programme output in Gressier and Port au Prince.
• Overall responsibility for the strategy and direction of the Community Development Department 2012-2014
• Support technical programme design and proposal development by having a solid understanding of the reconstruction and development needs in the communities that GOAL operates in.
• Provide technical assurance over programming output in the Port au Prince and Gressier Programmes.
• Line-manage the Community Planning Manager and Community Development Manager and other project managers as new projects come on stream in Port au Prince
• Have oversight of and provide support to the Gressier Community Development Manager
• Track progress against program objectives, ensuring full completion by the end of the project period
• Develop and implement effective systems for the collection, management and use of information by the programme, and implement a system of on-going program development based on lessons learned;
• Support and advise the M&E officer in developing and implementing an effective system of monitoring and evaluating GOALs quality of work, including the engagement with, and receive feedback from, beneficiary communities on the quality of our programming;
• Supervise staff on a daily basis reporting to the position, assisting with recruitment and performance management;
• Be responsible for the department finances, including monitoring expenditure against budgets, ensuring responsible use of project funds and ensuring funds are properly utilized in meeting the objectives of the projects
• Develop the capacity of team members and programs staff
• Plan the activities of the community team and ensure effective implementation of the programme schedules;
• Advise and support the increase in coordination with Community Based Organisations in GOAL’s area of implementation to promote further community buy in and strengthen strategic partnerships;
• Liaise with the local authorities and community leaders to ensure they are involved and informed of all GOAL’s activities in the relevant area;
• Prepare reports for the ACD as required;
• Carry out other activities as requested.
Person specifications (requirements)
• Fluent French and/or Creole speaker
• Third Level qualification in Engineering/Reconstruction or other relevant technical discipline.
• Extensive experience in the field of community reconstruction.
• Minimum 2 years’ experience in community development/community reconstruction programmes.
• Experience of working with NGOs, or other assistance agencies.
• Demonstrated capability in devising and implementing assessments, mapping exercises, monitoring and evaluation tools.
• Demonstrated capability in managing teams and capacity building.
• Demonstrated skills in information management and report writing.
• High level analytical and strategic planning skills, creative approach to problem solving.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Commitment to beneficiary accountability and humanitarian ethics.
• Ensuring the non disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty.
• This position description is intended to be a guide and is not or cannot be construed as a full account of what an employee is expected to perform in their job now or in the future.
• An employee’s position may be changed, modified, or altered at any time and employees are expected to assume new assignments enthusiastically and perform to the best of their abilities.