EMI, an international, not-for-profit organization involved in urban development and disaster risk management currently seeks a Knowledge Manager to head the KM Unit of the organization. As head of the unit, he/she will have overall responsibility to lead in planning, organizing, documenting and supporting the development, dissemination, maintenance, and marketing of various knowledge tools and products, such as reports, brochures, promotional documentation, publications, and others. He/she will ensure quality management and performance over the unit’s outputs and projects. The KM manager shall act as the administrative chief and shall oversee the technical and administrative personnel of the unit. The KM manager will also be responsible for supporting the knowledge development and management activities of various EMI projects. Additionally, he/she shall act as project manager for specific projects and lead a project team outside of his/her unit.
• Bachelor's degree in Communication, Public Policy, Journalism, Information and Communication Technology, English, or Social Sciences is preferable; however, other related fields can be considered;
• Master's Degree is a plus; Knowledge of disaster risk management or related fields such as emergency management, urban planning, environmental studies, technology management, developmental studies or economics are a plus;
• At least three (5) years of progressive professional experience in the field, with at least two (2) year in areas related to knowledge management and/or information and communication technology.
• Should have project management experience of more than one (1) year
• Excellent writing, publishing and communication skills, with keen eye for detail and creative thinking and writing
• Advanced working knowledge of MS Office applications (e.g. Powerpoint, Excel, Word, Outlook)
• Working knowledge of relevant computer applications for desktop publishing (e.g. Photoshop, InDesign), with good design sense.
• Good understanding of networking and web technologies (e.g. HTML, Dreamweaver) and fairly familiar with Web 2.0 trends and developments
• Ability to deal with the server and trouble shoot basic hardware and software problems.
• Understanding of office IT requirements, including web design, email set up and maintenance, MS Office install and maintenance, and ensuring compatibility and inter-operability of software and hardware.
• Detailed work planning and organization and open willingness to be a team player
• Experience working in an international, multi-cultural environment a plus
Tasks and responsibilities
• Be in charge of all IT operations and maintenance, including network, servers, software applications, hardware requirements, email service and websites, communication and web-sharing tools, data management tools, publishing, etc.
• Lead in the maintenance and updating of both content and technology of EMI website to keep it relevant and informative to a discerning audience.
• Work with the project teams in generating input for website updating.
• Prescribe most appropriate technology for the website, write terms of reference for IT consultants, and supervise their work and performance.
• Provide technical support and advice in the acquisition of knowledge management tools and services for EMI and help organize and maintain its in-house knowledge resources.
• Be able to advise on how to improve office efficiency, internal knowledge management, data storage, data sharing, procurement, administration and finance processes (e.g., Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0)
• Work with the project teams in the development of technical reports, proposals, and other information education and communication materials
• Support the knowledge management unit in the production of publications, manuals, proceedings, brochures, and promotional materials.
• Support the development of presentations for meetings and conferences, course materials, briefs, and other documentation for knowledge dissemination.
• Manage and/or coordinate projects that may be assigned from time to time.
• Support projects by devising data sharing protocols and technologies related to project management Manage of direct supports including performance evaluations, skills development, conformance to internal policies and admin/finance requirements.