Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating real and lasting change in the lives of children in need in the US and around the world. Recognized for our commitment to accountability, innovation, and collaboration, our work takes us into the hearts of communities, where we help children and families to help themselves. We work closely with other organizations, governments, partners and local communities while maintaining our own independence without political agenda or religious orientation. Our priorities are to ensure that children in need grow up protected and safe, educated, healthy and well-nourished, and able to thrive in economically secure households.
We are currently recruiting for a Natural Resources Management (NRM)/Climate Change Advisor who will be critical to the implementation and integration of climate change activities related to Enhanced Climate Adaptation and Improving Productivity and Competitiveness of Livestock by providing technical expertise to the Ethiopia project team. The project team, part of Pastoralists Resiliency Improvement and Market Expansion (PRIME) program, will be implemented in selected pastoral and agro-pastoral districts of Somali, Afar and Oromia Regions of Ethiopia. S/he will be responsible for technical guidance on NRM and climate change adaptation at the national level and handling related policy issues. The Advisor will also develop and undertake evidence-based analytics and studies related to clmate change adaptation in pastoral areas to inform project activities and contribute to broader debates and policies.
Please note that this position is contingent upon receipt of funding from the donor.
• Masters Degree in environmental studies, natural resource management, agriculture, livestock or development studies or related degree or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum of five years of progressively responsible work experience in technical areas of pastoral land management, natural resource management or climate change adaptation.
• At least five years of advocacy in the pastoral areas in relation to NRM, land tenure or land management.
• Research analysis and report writing expertise especially in advocacy policy briefs and publications.
• Proven ability in promoting and collaborating closely with multi-level stakeholders
• Familiarity with USAID regulations and policies
• Extensive experience working in Africa and Ethiopia in particular
• Proven experience building capacity of local NGOs and government bodies
• Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations
• Excellent oral and written communication skills