The Partners for Resilience (PfR) is an alliance of five humanitarian, development and environmental organizations bringing together knowledge and expertise in the field of disaster risk reduction (DRR), climate change adaptation (CCA) and ecosystem management and restoration (EMR). The PfR consist of the NLRC, CARE Nederland, Cordaid, Red Cross/Red Crescent Climate Centre and Wetlands International. The alliance partners accompany their local partner institutions in the implementation of the programme.
Founded in 2009, the Partners for Resilience developed the five year programme “Climate-proof Disaster Risk Reduction” that aims to reduce the impact of natural hazards on the livelihoods of 750.000 – 1.000.000 vulnerable people in nine countries: Ethiopia, Guatemala, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Mali, Nicaragua, Philippines, and Uganda. The PfR will implement the programme in the period 1 January 2011 to 31 December 2015. The NLRC is lead applicant and contract-holder for the programme vis-à-vis its key donor, the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs under its MFS-II grant facility. In Kenya the NLRC is the country lead for the PfR.
To ensure the successful implementation of the Climate Proof Disaster Risk Reduction Programme in Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia..
Duties applicable to all staff
1. Work towards the achievement of overall goals of the operation in the country, through effective managerial and lateral relations and teamwork.
2. Ensure understanding of roles, responsibilities, lateral relationships and accountabilities.
Perform other work related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Overall tasks and responsibilities
Manage of all aspects related to the implementation of the PfR programme in Kenya, Uganda and for a lesser extend Ethiopia. This includes but is not limited to the following activities:
1. Be the country lead for Kenya for the PfR and be responsible for the overall management and coordination of the country programme
2. Support the Regional Senior DRR officer in his work with regards to the Pledge programme in Ethiopia and the continuation of the PfR DRR/CCA/EMR programme in Ethiopia.
3. Assist the Kenya, Uganda and the Ethiopian Red Cross in producing regular, accurate and timely financial and narrative reports for the Netherlands Red Cross and for donors through mentoring and training in project and financial management as well as reporting;
4. Ensure appropriate coordination and effective liaison with the alliance partners, implementing partners and donor agencies;
5. Ensure effective cooperation with the alliance partners;
6. Assist NS to improve its co-operation with the relevant government agencies and in liaising with international agencies and organizations through the development and promotion of their National level DRR/CCA platforms;
7. Establish links and work towards co-ordination and co-operation between other relevant NS, or Federation initiated programs for effective use of resources;
8. Strengthen the Kenya, Uganda Ethiopia RC Disaster Management unit by providing guidance on operational structure and member’s roles and responsibilities;
9. Support the 3 NS to develop DRR/CCA strategies and work plans (3-5 yr) with associated HR and budget needs following the implementation of the PfR programme.
10. Support the 3 NS to develop strategies for volunteer`s recruitment, training and management, to support DRR/CCA programs, at branch and national level.
11. Support the 3 NS to develop strategies to assure the linking and involvement of private sector, universities, local authorities as well as community based organizations to DRR/CCA programs.
12. Assist the 3 NS to establish a fundraising strategy for disaster management work plan with the objective of increasing the resources secured nationally and internationally for disaster risk management activities;
13. Participate in the ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the Project in order to achieve all the project activities within the allotted timeframe;
14. Ensure that all expected results of the project are accomplished in a timely manner according to established timeline;
15. Support in the development of new initiatives in the region in the field of DRR (E.g. Great Green Wall Initiative for Kenya and Ethiopia).
Support tasks; additional duties to support the NLRC Regional East Africa Office team:
1. Suggest improvements, innovations or efficiencies that could be implemented.
2. Be familiar with the NLRC programs and objectives in the region.
3. Adherence to the Principles of the Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement, code of conduct as well as ICT and anti harassment policies.
Qualification and experience required:
- Masters Degree
- 5 years experience of working for a humanitarian aid organisation in developing countries (preferably in Disaster Risk Reduction /Climate Change Adaptation programming and/or community development work)
- Qualification in coordinating development programmes
- Excellent practical knowledge of computers (Windows, spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail, Internet)
- Experience in training
- Working in International Organizations
- Demonstrated success in (financial) planning and budgetting, project management and reporting
- Experience within the Red Cross Movement, working in bilateral programs.
- Community based project management
The following skills would be an asset:
- Experience in managing or supporting Ministry of Foreign Affairs grants
- Experience with working in East Africa at community level
English required, Dutch preferred
- High degree of integrity, discretion, and personal conduct
- Team player
- Able to work under security constrained situations
- Flexible and adaptable to changing working conditions
- Self-motivated and proactive, with good judgment and initiative
- Able to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Be diplomatic and result orientated
- Strong interpersonal, communication and networking skills
- Working in a multicultural environment
1. Line Manager: Regional Programme Manager, in Nairobi, Regional Office
2. HQ Desk East, West and Central Africa Netherlands Red Cross, The Hague
3. PfR Programme Coordinator at HQ Netherlands Red Cross, The Hague