To contribute to the successful implementation of the Caribbean Disaster Management 5 Year Strategic Framework with specific focus on the Suriname Red Cross Community Based Disaster Management project and ECHO Regional Disaster Preparedness program.
Duties applicable to all staff
1. Work towards the achievement of overall goals of the operation in the Sub-Region, through effective managerial and lateral relations and teamwork.
2. Ensure understanding of roles, responsibilities, lateral relationships and accountabilities.
Perform other work related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Overall tasks and responsibilities
Assist in the management of all aspects related to the ECHO funded Suriname Red Cross CBDM and Federation Regional Disaster Preparedness projects. This includes but is not limited to the following activities:
1. Assist the Suriname Red Cross in producing regular, accurate and timely financial and narrative reports for the Netherlands Red Cross, the Federation and for donors through mentoring and training in project and financial management as well as reporting
2. Assist NS/OSB to improve their co-operation with the relevant government agencies and in liaising with international agencies and organizations through the development and promotion of their National level DP/DRR platforms.
3. Establish links and work towards co-ordination and co-operation between other relevant NS/OSB, or, Federation initiated programs for effective use of resources.
4. Strengthened Caribbean NS Disaster Management units by providing guidance on operational structure and member’s roles and responsibilities.
5. Provide guidance and training to Caribbean National Societies in volunteer management strategies and techniques, and support development and implementation of corresponding tools and systems.
6. Support Caribbean NS to develop DM strategies and work plans (3-5 yr) with associated HR and budget needs following the implementation of the WPNS.
7. Assist Caribbean NS to establish a fundraising strategy for disaster management work plan with the objective of increasing the resources secured nationally and internationally for disaster risk management activities (community based DM and disaster preparedness and response)
8. Participate in the ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the Project in order to achieve all the project activities within the allotted timeframe
9. Ensure that all expected results of the project are accomplished in a timely manner according to established timeline.
Support tasks; additional duties that support the CRRO as a team
1. Suggest improvements or efficiencies that could be implemented.
2. Be familiar with the Caribbean Regional Representation Office (CRRO) programs and objectives.
3. Understand and practice the Principles of the Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement
Education and Experience
3 years experience in relief / development work in the Caribbean.
3 years experience in project cycle management.
Documented skills in computer applications: Word Processing, Spreadsheets
Skills and Knowledge
Excellent practical knowledge of computers (Windows, spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail, Internet)
Experience of training others
Experience of Disaster management programming and/or community development work
Experience in Project Management
Experience in working in an International Organizations
Experience in Budget preparation and control
Experience in Problem Resolution
Experience in Systems Analysis and Development
Experience within the Red Cross Movement
Experience in managing or supporting ECHO grants
Familiarity with the concept of Climate Change
English and Dutch required, French preferred
High degree of integrity, discretion, and personal conduct
Able to work in a team
Flexible and adaptable to changing working conditions
Willing and able to travel whenever required for work purposes
Self-motivated and proactive, with good judgment and initiative
Excellent interpersonal skills
Able to prioritize and meet deadlines
1. Netherlands Red Cross 50%
2. International Federation Caribbean Regional Representation Office 50%