UNICEF MENARO invites applications from experienced and well qualified disaster risk reduction (DRR) experts and organisations for inclusion in its Pool of DRR Experts for MENA.
Purpose & Objectives:
UNICEF MENA Country Offices are scaling up their DRR activities in particular within the education and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) sectors, as well as for inter-sectoral strategies and policies. UNICEF recognises the need to secure increased professional capacity and DRR expertise to support development and implementation of DRR-focused programmes and projects in the region. To this end, the UNICEF Middle East and North Africa Regional Office (MENARO) is developing a Pool of DRR Experts to ensure the continued availability of professional expertise to support UNICEF’s future DRR activities.
The Pool of DRR Experts will consist of individuals and professional organisations with the necessary DRR expertise to support UNICEF’s activities including within the education and WASH sectors. Members of the UNICEF Pool of DRR Experts will be eligible for consideration for multiple assignments of variable duration throughout the Middle East and North Africa.
Functional areas of need:
UNICEF MENARO invites applications to the Pool of DRR Experts from individuals and organisations with DRR expertise and experience during all phases of the disaster cycle: development, emergency response and early recovery. In particular, at this time it seeks candidates with DRR expertise and experience related to:
- Education: School disaster management, disaster prevention education and/or safe school buildings
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
- Policy and strategy development
- Risk assessment
- Development and provision of training
- Development of project proposals, project documents and other project-specific materials
- Advocacy and fundraising
- Project management
- The Global Education and/or WASH Clusters
Only individuals and professional organisations that satisfy the following requirements will be considered:
- Have completed a masters degree (or advanced university study equivalent) in a relevant field.
- Possess a minimum of three to six years of relevant experience, including work in developing countries and in a multicultural environment.
- Have demonstrated professional experience and field-based knowledge of DRR in education, WASH and/or inter-sectoral strategies and policies, in development, emergency response and/or early recovery phases.
- Have working proficiency in written and spoken English. Proficiency in Arabic, French and/or Farsi is highly desirable.
- Certain assignments may require willingness and availability to be assigned to UNICEF office(s) in the MENA Region.