ActionAid International seeks to appoint a human security advisor to join its International Emergencies and Conflict team (IECT). This role will include technical support and fund-raising for high-quality long-term emergency response and Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) programs in Brazil, Guatemala and Haiti.
You will build on work taking place in these countries to inform advocacy in the region (especially US and Brazil) in relation to long-term emergency response and CCA/DRR.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- capacity-building for emergency preparedness and response
- fund-raising for IECT work in the region
- engagement with policy advocacy
- work on DRR and climate change adaptation
- active participation in the IECT team
The position requires frequent travel to countries in the Americas region.
We are looking for a candidate with:
- strong program background in emergency response
- strong understanding of Policy Advocacy work
- experience working on climate change and/or disaster risk reduction issues
- understanding of human rights and rights-based analysis and approaches
- knowledge of the international humanitarian sector, including policy, funding and coordination systems
- excellent, and proven, written English skills (Spanish or French is a plus)
- experience of working with donors
- knowledge of the region
- understanding of the causes, dynamics and consequences of conflict and emergencies in the region
- leadership skills
- facilitation and networking skills