Plan is an international humanitarian, child centred development organisation without religious, political or governmental affiliation. Child sponsorship is the basic foundation of the organisation.
Purpose of the Role
We are seeking a program specialist with good field experience and linkages in the sector to support the implementation of Plan's Global Disaster Risk Management (DRM) policy and strategy by building the region's capacity in disaster management, preparedness and response; and the integration of disaster risk reduction and response within country and regional programmes.
About the Role
- Responsible for providing support for the implementation of the DRM strategy in the 12 countries in WARO
- Prepare, and periodically update, a disaster/hazard monitor for the region; undertake an analysis and recommend use of existing early warning systems for Plan's programming, building on existing national systems and information
- Design a role out schedule with country DRM staff in the region to support the implementation of the disaster preparedness - assessment/training packages to all countries in the region
- Document the disaster preparedness processes and learning from the countries and share with RO and IH to further refine the training tools/procedures
- Work with the RDRM, countries and IH to establish a system for monitoring the readiness level of countries.
- Support capacity building initiatives and monitoring related to the implementation of the global DRM strategy
- The DRM Program specialist will support countries with the response to emergencies and could be deployed for all significant disasters within the region
- Support countries in the implementation of DRM strategy in the region, with particular focus on disaster preparedness and response capacity
- Jointly with the CO/RO/IH identify additional capacity needs and coordinate rapid deployment of additional staff (Admin, Finance, HR, programme, comms etc.) as required and per the demand of the countries in emergency situations
- Support countries in undertaking review and documentation of lessons from all significant disasters
- Support Disaster reporting processes to ensure timely and quality reporting on emergency situations to relevant audiences.
- Work with countries and RDRM in monitoring and supporting high quality DRM interventions within the region
- Jointly with the RDRM provide guidance and technical support to COs for DRM integration in country strategic planning processes and the entire programme cycle
- Support and facilitate learning and sharing of DRM related resources/tools/experiences between countries in the region
Coordination, Networking and Fundraising
- Engage externally with relevant actors and coordinate Plans work with other international/regional/national/institutions and agencies, IASC clusters, donors at the regional level in line with the DRM strategy
- Take an active role in supporting COs in grant acquisition for relevant DRM related work within the region
- Work closely with the country and regional level communication team to build an external profile around Plans DRM work and to advocate for relevant issues to the region/countries.
- Committed to humanitarian work and children's/human rights
- Documented experience from disaster risk management work, including disaster preparedness and managing humanitarian response
- Documented experience from at least 2 major disaster events, working in “disaster /high risk” environments
- Documented experience as a trainer/facilitator on humanitarian issues
- Ability to prioritize and manage complex and varied workload, often to tight deadlines
- Experience of strategy, i.e. analysing relevant factors from both the internal and external environments, identifying crucial issues that have to be addressed, setting objectives and developing plans of actions
- Relevant program experience from either / or education / protection in emergencies, food crisis or flood management is desired
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal in order to present arguments clearly and powerfully to a variety of audiences
- Direct experience of working with children and young people and in understanding and responding to their needs and rights
- Experience of working with institutional donors/fundraisers
- Energetic and motivated individual, with a proven track record of undertaking similar assignments successfully
- Good interpersonal skills and able to work in a dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders at different level
- Ability to think strategically, but also result oriented and get things done
- Commitment to continuous learning and willingness to keep abreast of new developments in the field (DRM and humanitarian issues in general)
- Able to work independently, but to function within a virtual team
- Culturally and socially sensitive, and able to work successfully with partners and sector professionals
- Fluent spoken and written English and strong working knowledge of French