Job # 101486
The Global Environment Facility (GEF) is a multilateral financial mechanism created in 1991 to provide grant and concessional funds to recipient countries for projects and programs that address biodiversity loss, climate change, degradation of international waters, land degradation, ozone depletion and persistent organic pollutants within the framework of sustainable development.
GEF operates as a financial mechanism for three international environmental conventions: the Convention on Biological Diversity, the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants, and the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change. GEF is a designated financial mechanism of the UN Convention to Combat Desertification.
As part of the Marrakech accords in 2001, the Conference of the Parties (COP) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) established the Adaptation Fund (AF) in Decision 10/CP.7 “Funding under the Kyoto Protocol.” The decision established the AF to finance concrete adaptation projects and programs in developing country Parties and decided that the AF would “be financed from the share of proceeds on the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) project activities and other sources of funding.”
At the Thirteen session of the Conference of the Parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), in conjunction with the Third Meeting of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol, held in Bali, Indonesia in December 2007, Global Environment Facility (GEF) was requested by the Conference of the Parties serving as the Meeting of the Parties (COP/MOP) to provide Secretariat services to the Adaptation Fund Board and the Adaptation Fund on an interim basis.
In April 2008, the GEF Council accepted the invitation of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol asking the GEF to provide Secretariat services to the Adaptation Fund on an interim basis, and directed the GEF CEO and Secretariat to make necessary arrangements to provide such services.
This position will support the overall effort ensuring that Secretariat services needed by the Adaptation Fund Board for the conduct of the Fund business are rendered in an efficient and timely manner.
The incumbent will report to the head of the Adaptation Fund Board and will work on a day to day basis under the supervision of the Manager of the Adaptation Fund Board Secretariat.
Specific duties are:
1. Collaborate with the Manager of the Adaptation Fund Board Secretariat in preparing papers, documents and assist in other assignments as requested by the Adaptation Fund Board in organizing Adaptation Fund Board meetings;
2. Work with the Manager of the Adaptation Fund Board Secretariat in preparing operational guidelines and tools, taking into account Adaptation fund Board guidance on adaptation;
3. Collaborate with the Manager of the Adaptation Fund Board Secretariat in coordinating logistical arrangements for holding Adaptation Fund Board and other related meetings;
4. Help promote regular and informed communication between the interim Secretariat and the Adaptation Fund Board;
5. Participate in the review of project proposals according to the Adaptation Fund project review criteria, as agreed by the Adaptation Fund Board. This will include provision of guidance on the development of project proposals; assistance in the monitoring of project implementation performance; and maintaining overview of portfolio coverage;
6. Monitor status of a multi-agency portfolio of adaptation projects funded under the Adaptation Fund; support development of appropriate indicators for adaptation projects; and document best practices and lessons so as to contribute to the preparation of Adaptation Fund policies and guidelines for the implementation of adaptation measures under these fund.
7. Participate in the process of accreditation of the national and multilateral implementing entities that may seek funding from the Adaptation Fund; screen accreditation applications and assist the Accreditation Panel, as appropriate;
8. Collaborate with the staff working on the Adaptation Fund website and ensuring that information flow is constant and updated;
9. Closely cooperate with the External Affairs team to enhance public awareness and wide circulation of public materials on the Adaptation Fund;
10. Undertake other duties as required by the Adaptation Fund Board.
Language Requirements: English [Essential]