The Africa Disaster Risk Management (DRM) team is seeking a Disaster Risk Management Specialist to help implement the Country DRM action plan for Mali. The Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR) is a partnership of the International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (ISDR) system to support the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA). The principal strategic goal of the HFA is to effectively integrate, in a coherent manner, disaster risk considerations into sustainable development policies, planning, programming, and financing at all levels of government.
In collaboration with the Africa DRM Team, the Disaster Risk Management Specialist (GFDRR) will work under the direct supervision of the Senior Natural Resources Management Specialist in the World Bank Country Office of Mali with a reporting line the Regional Coordinator for DRM.
Duties and accountabilities
- Oversee DRM program implementation in Mali 2 others African countries
(i) Participate to the management of all in-country aspects of DRR and CC issues
(ii) Support the preparation and implementation of the DRR and CC activities, including technical assistance on sustainable land and water management agenda
(iii) Measure results in DRR and CC operations
(iv) Identify and follow up potential opportunities for resource mobilization in support of DRR programs
(v) Coordinate the preparation of consolidated progress reports, project briefings and other relevant monitoring information
- Manage a comprehensive in-country sectoral dialogue with critical stakeholders:
(i) Strengthen in-country partnerships and coordinate with relevant agencies, academia, the UN, and donors relating to project activities
(ii) Represent GFDRR at internal and external meetings and deliver presentations on Track II country program portfolio as well as on GFDRR in general,
- Support government led coordination on DRM and build critical capacities:
(i) Strengthen in-country capacity of government counterparts to plan, prioritize and implement a DRM and CCA agenda;
(ii) Advocate for cross-sectoral platforms to review and improve risk reduction and climate change adaptation in bank intern CAS as well as current and new national development plans such as PRSP;
(iii) Advocate, promote awareness and understanding of the links and mutually supportive goals and objectives of disaster reduction, sustainable development and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.
- Contribute to GFDRR’s Knowledge management system by preparing lessons learnt and best practice pieces based on Track II portfolio opportunities:
(i) Conceptualize and guide the implementation of country generated knowledge products
(ii) Promote and facilitate knowledge exchange and dissemination in disaster risk management and climate change adaptation between countries, sectors and regions
- Advanced degree with at least six years (6) of professional experience with educational background in social science/economics/political economy or related subjects (e.g. natural resources management, agriculture, water resources management), preferably with specialization in CC, DRR and/or CCA and related policy and institutional dimensions of DRM.
- World Bank operational experience highly preferred, and/or operational experience with other international development banks or bilateral donors.
- Field experience in sub-Saharan Africa, preferably from one or several of the priority countries.
- Knowledge of African development institutions, including the African Development Bank, the Regional Economic Commissions, and UN partners (e.g., ISDR).
- Strong operational and analytical skills, preferably in the design of operational strategies and programs in multilateral agencies.
- Outstanding inter-personal skills and proven ability to work in a multi-sectoral team and intercultural environment, with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on complex projects.
- Language Requirements English [Essential]; French [Essential]