IRC Afghanistan has been working with the conflict-affected communities in Afghanistan since 1988. With 6 operating offices and an extended network of sub-offices and partners, IRCâ€™s programs focus on education and child protection, economic recovery and livelihoods activities, environmental health and engineering, and community driven reconstruction. IRC Afghanistan is orienting programming to the changing context of the country, with activities aimed at development and others geared towards humanitarian assistance and emergency response.
This portfolio will include, over time, Emergency Response, Disaster Risk Reduction, Winterization plus other efforts as driven by target beneficiary population needs.
The Emergency Community Mobilizer is assisting the HP officer to manage and conduct routine community mobilization and to increase community participation during the project cycle and implementation including needs assessments, data collection, baseline, distribution and impact survey, evaluations, and quality and quantity impact reporting. The post holder will also help the (M&E) officer for regular impact monitoring of all emergency interventions during and after the initial response phase; will include post-distribution monitoring, surveys and conducting discussions through community mobilization and participation. In addition the post holder will assist the team in the field; hygiene promoter in selection of the community hygiene volunteers and identification of accessible venue in community compounds, the M&E and the emergency team in registration/ survey and further to operationalize the remote monitoring strategy, implementation and will assist them in producing â€˜lessons learned, success storiesâ€™ and evaluation reports.
The Community Mobilizer is responsible to motivate and mobilize the communities/ elders, for assisting communities to learn to self-manage community investments, contributions and projects through direct support as well as capacity building activities. Working as part of a gender-balanced team, the position requires the ability to work constructively with a wide variety of people in a rural or may be in urban setting.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Develop and maintain strong community relationships
2. Assess and report on community needs with the rest of the team to achieve objectives of HP and emergency
3. Carry out community mobilization and assist the team in capacity building activities with community members, elders/ shuras and CDCs
4. Maintain good relation and detailed information on partner communities
5. Incorporate participatory principles into community-level HP and emergency response activities
6. Support the achievement of gender equity in regard to field of HP and emergency activities
7. Ensure non-partisan, culturally and socially to advise the team in appropriate implementation of project.
8. Actively seek opportunities to build personal capacity to fulfill professional requirements.
9. Uphold mission, values, and spirit of IRC; follow and enforce all IRC codes of conduct and policies; report any violations to appropriate IRC authority, and participate in preventative initiatives.
10. Perform other duties as requested by supervisor.
11. Develop and maintain community-related files.
12. Assist the team with recruitment in community level (casual labors within the community) and directly supervise community team with the rest of the field team.
13. Participate in training and development activities as needed or requested
14. Review financial reports, as requested.
15. Help and advise the field team and supervisors about overall security situation in project area and in put.
16. Facilitate incorporation of participatory principles into HP and emergency response activities
17. Assist with development and implementation of staff and community training curriculum and materials, if needed.
18. Carry out community-based mobilization and other related activities, adhering to project work plan and ensuring consistent implementation across the project area.
19. Promote and motivate inclusive participation by villagers/ elders and community representatives, in all project activities, taking care to assist cooperation with regard to gender, political, ethnic, and other factors.
20. Seek to create constructive working environment for community participants and field team, and encourage, facilitate, and mediate nonviolent conflict resolution and problem solving.
21. Identify areas where communities need support, and facilitate access to resources.
22. Assist with data collection and processing.
23. Regularly assist the M&E to monitor and report on community and project progress.
24. Facilitate community identification of and access to other project and development resources.
25. Ensure project is implemented in a non-partisan manner and project activities are conducted in culturally and socially appropriate ways.
1. Bachelor or higher degree
2. Good reputation within the community
3. Experience with grassroots initiatives in rural areas and interacting with community members
4. Experience with participatory community development principles and practices preferred
5. Ability to show initiative and function effectively in loosely structured, complex work environment that is constantly and rapidly changing
6. Patient and optimistic approach to problem-solving, good communication and facilitation skills
7. Ability to carry out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support from within the program organization
8. Ability to travel in field