EVENT : OUTCOME DOCUMENTS AVAILABLE - Beta
Type: Meeting or Conference Date: 10 Oct 2013 Location: United States of America (New York) Venue: ECOSOC Chamber, UNHQ, New York, 1:15 - 2:45 pm
The 2013 International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR) recognizes the critical role of persons with disabilities in fostering disaster resilience.
In observance of the IDDR 2013, the Permanent Missions of Indonesia and Norway to the UN, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) and the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), with support from the Nippon Foundation, present a panel discussion 'Disaster resilience and disability: ensuring equality and inclusion'.
The panel discussion will aim to highlight a variety of perspectives on disaster resilience and disability, in order to help all major stakeholders and partners, especially policy makers:
1) To take stock of progress made so far in including disability in disaster risk reduction policy and practices,
2) To share experience and good practices in this regard,
3) To discuss how persons with disabilities can make contributions to disaster resilience, and
4) To discuss options and ways forward with reference to the post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction (HFA2), to better incorporate the perspectives and needs of persons with disabilities.
Speakers will include:
H.E. Mr. Geir O. Pedersen, Ambassador & Permanent Representative of Norway to the UN
H.E. Mr. Desra Percaya, Ambassador & Permanent Representative of Indonesia to the UN
Mr. Thomas Gass, Assistant Secretary-General, UN Department of Economic & Social Affairs
Margareta Wahlström, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction
- Kerryann F Ifill, President of the Senate, Barbados
- Marcie Roth, Director, Office of Disability Integration and Coordination, FEMA
- Alex Robinson, ASB Indonesia on behalf of Asian Disaster Reduction and Response Network
- Mitsuji Hisamatsu, General Secretary and Chief, Japanese Federation of the Deaf
- Stephanie Kusuma Rahardja, Member of Deaf Art Community, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
A light lunch, sponsored by the Permanent Mission of Norway, will be available prior to the event.
Event website: http://www.unisdr.org/2013/iddr/#.UkGf0NiLc_k
Short URL: http://www.preventionweb.net/go/34792