EVENT - Beta
MAIN ORGANIZER(S): Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations - Headquarters
University of Torino
Type: Training Course Date: 08 - 17 Jul 2012 Location: Italy (Monte Rosa) Venue: Istituto Angelo Mosso at Col d'Olen
The fifth edition of the IPROMO Course “Understanding and Adapting to Climate Change in Mountain Areas” will be linked to the Strategic Initiative on Mountains and Climate Change (SIMCC) which is a joint initiative of the World Bank, FAO, ICIMOD and UNEP in the context of the Mountain Partnership. This Strategic Initiative, recognizing that mountain regions are among the poorest and most underdeveloped areas in the world, aims at:
• Enhancing awareness about climate change impacts and development challenges in mountain regions at the international/regional levels and about the related international processes.
• Promoting capacity building for politicians, scientists, and practitioners as regards to climate change adaptation in mountains and negotiations in international fora.
The main themes treated in the Course will be:
• General scientific background on climate change with focus on mountain regions;
• Mountain regions and the post Rio+20 world: opportunities, benefits, and communication strategies in the face of sustainable development;
• UNFCCC negotiations and the Nairobi Work Programme on impact, vulnerability and adaptation to climate change;
• Strengthening the mountain positions in the framework of UNFCCC and building on the results of the three SIMCC regional workshops;
• Social and economic implications of climate change in mountains;
• Role of mountain regions in negotiations and the global agenda.
Event website: http://www.ipromo-school.it/en/course.html
Short URL: http://www.preventionweb.net/go/26695