MAIN ORGANIZER(S): ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability
Type: Meeting or Conference Date: 15 May 2012 Location: Germany (Bonn) Venue: Deutsche Welle, Kurt-Schumacher-Str. 3
The panel discussion "Cities: drivers of development - drivers of risk?" will address drivers of development and risk as well as potential disaster risk management strategies towards natural hazards in urban areas with a special focus on flooding.
The panelists will address the following questions:
• What are drivers for development and risk?
• Will it be possible to avoid a further increase of disaster risk?
• What are the main effects of upcoming global changes on development and risk?
• Is there a blueprint for resilient city development?
• Are changes in severity and frequency of extreme events a major driver of risk or do vulnerability factors, such as informal settlements, play a more important role in this context?
• Compared to other hazards, why is the role of urban flooding so important in this context?
• What are best practice disaster risk management strategies for urban flooding?
• What are important constraints of existing approaches?
• How should guidelines for vulnerability assessment of different social groups and critical infrastructures be designed?
Event website: http://www.bonn-dialogues.org/
Short URL: http://www.preventionweb.net/go/26567