EVENT - Beta
MAIN ORGANIZER(S): Indepth Research Services
Type: Training Course Date: 23 - 27 Apr 2012 Location: Kenya (Nairobi) Venue: Sportsview Hotel, Kasarani
Type: Training Course Date: 23 - 27 Jul 2012 Location: Kenya (Nairobi) Venue: Sportview Hotel, Kasarani
Type: Training Course Date: 01 - 05 Oct 2012 Location: Kenya (Nairobi) Venue: Sportsview Hotel, Kasarani
Current practices in resource mobilization within public, private sectors and Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs) have put a lot of emphasis on the need to peg planning and allocation of resources to evidence-based research. This has led to increased funding to research initiatives that include a variety of baseline surveys, Socio-Economic Surveys, Demographic and Health Surveys, Nutrition Surveys, Food Security Surveys, Program Evaluation Surveys, Employees, customers and vendor satisfaction surveys, and opinion polls among others.
Although there has been an attempt to make the findings as representative as possible, the level of skills in those in charge of conducting these surveys has to a great extent been inadequate and this has compromised the quality and integrity of the data collected and consequently, the reports derived from such studies.
In other instances, there have been obvious technological gaps in the types of tools used; making the process to be both tedious and unduly delayed, such that the release of results is surpassed by need.
This is therefore a five days hands-on course that is tailored to address these challenges to a considerable extent. It is also meant to improve the way organizations store their data and enable data sharing without putting the confidentiality of respondents and data providers into jeopardy.
It is envisioned that upon completion, the participants will be empowered with the necessary skills to produce accurate and cost effective data and reports.
At the end of this course participants should be able to:
• Understand and appropriately use statistical terms and concepts
• Design universally acceptable questionnaires
• Design computer aided data capture screens using Ms Excel
• Convert data into various formats using appropriate software
• Perform complex data manipulation using Ms Excel, including use of statistical functions embedded
• Perform basic data analysis tasks with SPSS and STATA
• Write short VBA programs to automate regular tasks
• Perform simple to complex statistical analysis using SPSS and STATA
• Correctly identify appropriate statistical test for basic analysis s and perform them using SPSS and STATA
• Get familiar with Open source statistical software (PSPP)
• Use GPS receivers to collect coordinates for location based data
• Use Google forms and display data on Google maps
• Use mobile data gathering tools such as Nokia Data Gathering and Google's Open Data Kit (ODK)
• Use GIS software to plot and display data on basic maps
Module One: Basic Concepts
Review of basic statistical terms and concepts
• Descriptive Statistics
• Measure of Central tendency
• Measures of Dispersion
• Frequency Distribution
• Qualitative and Quantitative Research
Sources of Data for Social Statistics
• Vital Statistics records
Module Two: Survey Planning, Sampling and Execution
Planning and Execution of Surveys
• Research Questions and Questionnaire Design
• Data collection methods
• Implementation of field work
• Tabulation and analysis plan
• Advanced Excel (Statistical Functions)
• Introduction to GPS
• Introduction to Google Applications: Maps and Forms
Sampling Strategies and Sampling Methodologies
• Defining Measurement Objectives
• Sample size determination
• Sample size calculation
• Selecting the Sample
• Advanced Excel (Data Analysis Toolkit)
Module Three: Data Processing and Quality Control
• Data collection
• Data entry
• Data validation and checking
• Types of storage
• Data Format Information
• Data file documentation; Two places for Metadata
• Data Archiving
• Introduction to GIS and Remote Sensing: Technique and Software
• Introduction to Stat Transfer
• Mobile data gathering
Module Four: Introduction to Statistical Software
• SPSS Basic Commands
• STATA Basic Commands
• Open Source Statistical Analysis Software (PSPP)
Module Five: Statistical Hypothesis test, and methods
Statistical Hypotheses testing
• Hypothesis Tests
• Decision Errors
• Decision Rules
• One-Tailed and Two-Tailed Tests
• Software options for different steps of Hypothesis Tests (SPSS)
Statistical Methods and Tests (Separate tests with either of the Software)
• Paired T-test
• Chi-Square Test
• Repeated Measures ANOVA
• Factor Analysis
• Cluster Analysis
• Linear Regression
• Mann-Whitney test
• Kruskal-Wallis test
• Wilcoxon Signed-Ranks test
• McNemar's Test
• Friedman's Test
Module Six: Introduction to Advanced Statistical Analysis
• SPSS: Building Syntax Files
• STATA: Building Do Files
• Advanced Excel (Advanced Statistical Functions, Macros and VBA Projects)
Language of Instruction
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants must have a reasonable reading and understanding skills in English. Some early warning, and GIS background is desirable, but not essential.
Training Venue and Accomodation
The training is residential, and will be held at Sportsview Hotel, Kasarani. Applicants are highly encouraged to stay at the hotel where the training is held. The rooms’ rate is approximately US$ 50 per day. Note this is a negotiated rate between IRES and the Hotel management.
• Alternative I: with accommodation: KES 109,499 or US$ 1,399, Exclusive of VAT (Add 16%)
• Alternative II: without accommodation: KES 79,499, or US$ 1,099, Exclusive of VAT (Add 16%)
The standard course fee of KES 109,499 or US$1,399 covers the course tuition, training materials, accommodation (6), breakfast (5), two break refreshments and lunch everyday during the training, study visits and all dinners. Participants will cater for their own travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses. Participants who wish to seek own accommodation can choose course fee Alternative II of KES 79,499 orUS$1,099; Exclusive of VAT (16%), this will only cover for course tuition, training materials and study visits.
Payment should be transferred to IRES account through bank on or before 16th April 2012. Otherwise, your participation will be cancelled. Kindly send proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org
In cases where a participant is unable to attend, a substitute applicant is welcome to attend in their place, provided the participation criteria described above have been met. Cancellation of attendance should be notified at least 3 weeks prior to course commencement; in which case, a full refund less 15% of course fee for banking charges and administrative costs will be made. No refunds are available for cancellation within a period less than 3 weeks prior to course commencement.
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure.
Blog and Social Networks
We will be blogging on this and other events to keep you updated, to follow this event on twitter, use the tag #iresdataprocessingandanalysis, to follow the organisers use @Indepthresearch. You can also visit our facebook fan page at www.facebook.com/indepthresearch.
This course is designed for participants with basic statistics knowledge, who desire to acquire hands-on skills in planning and executing surveys, data processing and analysis of survey data. It endeavours to impact participants with adequate modern skills and technologies in conducting surveys and producing accurate and timely results.
The course is intended for professional practicing as Statisticians, Economists, Researchers, Nutritionists, Financial Analysts, Monitoring and Evaluation Specialists, Logisticians, planners, Data Analysts and Data Managers, Information Systems Managers, GIS and Remote Sensing Practitioners and other disciplines in Social and Physical Sciences. Participants who want to broaden their knowledge in conducting surveys may also apply.
Short URL: http://www.preventionweb.net/go/25223