EVENT - Beta
MAIN ORGANIZER(S): United Nations University
Type: Meeting or Conference Date: 15 Nov 2011 Location: Japan (Tokyo) Venue: United Nations University Headquarters 5–53–70 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-8925
The United Nations University Institute for Sustainability and Peace (UNU-ISP) would like to invite you to the upcoming Conference of the University Network for Climate and Ecosystems Change Adaptation Research (UN-CECAR), on 15 November 2011 in UNU-ISP Tokyo, Japan. It will focus on Disaster Risk Management and Sustainability, taking climate and ecosystems changes into consideration.
The main session of the Conference from 12:20 to 17:30 focuses on discussing risk reduction and recovery challenges from catastrophic disasters. While much progress has been made in reducing disaster risks, huge losses from high intensity and low frequency hazards continue to be a major challenge. Countries that experienced such catastrophic disasters as the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and 2011 Thailand Flood would have many experiences and lessons to share. Search for a sustainable disaster risk management model is a very relevant concern given that natural disasters have devastated an increasing number of regions, destroyed investments and set back progress in development.
Prominent researchers from Ibaraki University, Gadjah Mada University, Chulalongkorn University and University of Engineering and Technology Lahore-Pakistan will share their experience on disaster response and management on mega disasters in the region during the past decade. Presentations will be followed by a panel discussion on sustainable disaster risk management moderated by Prof. Kazuhiko Takeuchi.
There will also be a morning session from 9:30 to 11:10 for presentations on climate and ecosystems change adaptation research carried out by young researchers from UN-CECAR and S-8-3 affiliated university networks.
• Climate and Ecosystems Change Adaptation Research
• Sukhothai Flood Analysis and its response under climate change
• Climate Change Impacts on Floods in Kelani River Basin and Adaptation Measures
• Seasonal prediction of monsoon rainfall with statistical down-scaling of Global Model Outputs for Clime Risk Management in Agriculture
• A serious coastal erosion in Hai Hau district, Nam Dinh, Viet Nam - towards coexistence of human beings and nature
• Ecosystem Change Adaptation in the Hani Rice Terrace
• Potential Effect of Climate Change on Global River Discharge
• Disaster Risk Management and Sustainability Presentations
• Sustainable Disaster Risk Management and the Role of Higher Education
• Sustainability and Survivability
• Damages from the East Japan Great Earthquake and Tsunami and Emerging Policy for Coastal Disaster Reduction in Japan
• Post Tsunami Recovery Issues and challenges in Sri Lanka
• The Role of Engineering Faculty, Gadjah Mada University in Pre, During and Post of Merapi Volcano Eruption Disaster in 2011
• Thailand Flood 2011: Causes and Future Scenario
• Recent Floods in Pakistan and Disaster Risk Management
• Towards Sustainable Disaster Risk Management
Short URL: http://www.preventionweb.net/go/23409