MAIN ORGANIZER(S): VRS Media
Type: Meeting or Conference Date: 03 - 04 May 2012 Location: South Africa (Cape Town) Venue: Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC)
Since the formation of the MDGs in 2000, world leaders have continuously called on the entire world to play its part in making the MDGs a reality in 2015.
The UN describes the eight Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) – which range from halving extreme poverty to halting the spread of HIV/AIDS and providing universal primary education, all by the target date of 2015 – as a blueprint agreed to by all the world’s countries and all the world’s leading development institutions. These goals have galvanized unprecedented efforts to meet the needs of the world’s poorest.
Progress towards reaching the goals has remained uneven. Some countries have achieved many of the goals, while others remain off-track to realize any. The major countries that have been achieving their goals include countries like China and India due to clear internal and external factors of population and economic development. However, areas needing the most reduction, such as the Sub-Saharan Africa regions have yet to make any drastic changes in improving their quality of life.
On the 3rd – 4th of May 2012 at the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC) in South Africa, we are not only pushing boundaries but we are bringing the world to one of the few countries in Africa that has shown commitment in changing its own people’s lives – South Africa. MDGs are a huge opportunity for sub-Sahara Africa to bring about the sustainability it so requires and work towards a permanent poverty eradication agenda.
Building up on the last MDG meetings across the world, this event will have its theme set out to promote the power of business as one of the solutions to the MDG challenges.
• ICT as a developmental tool
• Climate vulnerability and its Impact on MDGs
• HIV/AIDS + MDGS – Delivering results towards our shared commitments
• Bridging the Malaria gap
• Agriculture and Achieving the Millennium Development Goals
• The Vital Role of women in Agriculture and rural development
• The significance of Transport services to each of the MDGs, & transport alternatives for service delivery in Africa
• Financing For Development & Micro Finance as a development tool
• Scaling up Africa’s Infrastructure to reach the MDGs
• Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and the MDGs
• Delivering affordable housing & shelter to support the MDGs
• Ending energy poverty – towards universal access
• Addressing the global water and sanitation challenge
• Applying New Technologies and Cost-Effective Delivery Systems in Basic Education
• Country level presentation on MDGs (limited to 15 min) at Government level
• Achieving gender equality and empowering women as a development tool
Event website: http://www.mdgsummit.org/
Government sector, NGOs, Development Agencies, Management consultants, Civic groups, business, and most of the steering groups and policy makers will be invited to come and address the MDG challenges, and share success stories. The only difference this time being; the agenda for this summit will be set by business, the solution providers.
Short URL: http://www.preventionweb.net/go/22861