ORGANIZER(S): Indepth Research Services
Type: Training Course Date: 28 Nov - 02 Dec 2011 Location: Kenya (Nairobi) Venue: Spring Valley Hotel
Type: Training Course Date: 25 - 29 Jun 2012 Location: Kenya (Nairobi) Venue: Safaripark Hotel
Why this course?
The main purpose of the course is to enhance the capabilities of executive managers and technical staff involved in disaster risk management by providing them with understanding on the use of spatial information in disaster risk management.
Participants acquire hands-on skills in application of geographical information system (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS) in disaster risk management interventions, and learn to work with, spatial data, satellite images and Public Participatory GIS tools, that are the key to a better understanding of hazard, vulnerability and risk.
By completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Evaluate the spatial data requirements in disaster risk management
- Use GIS and RS as a tools for hazard, vulnerability and risk (HVR) assessment
- Use risk information in planning disaster reduction intervention through spatial multi-criteria analysis
- Utilize existing sources of past disaster information and elements at risk data
- Assess spatial data availability and understand the importance of Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI), for data sharing by organizations involved in disaster risk management
- Apply GIS and RS for designing implementations of large scale early warning systems
- Use participatory GIS (PGIS) at community level
- Application of remote sensing data and image processing techniques to monitor hazardous events and assess damage
- Damage assessments in order to generate information for recovery planning
- Evaluate Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI), for data sharing by organizations involved in disaster risk management
- Design and implement their own GIS projects that integrate remote sensing data, GPS-based field information, and HVR models and analysis in a proper geospatial and cartographic framework
Examples of modules
- Hazard, vulnerability and Risk assessment with GIS and RS (Pre-Disaster)
- Application of risk information for Risk Reduction planning (Pre-Disaster)
- Introduction to Early warning systems and Information Networks (Pre-Disaster)
- Disaster Impact Analysis (Post Disaster)
- Public Participatory GIS and Disaster Risk Management (Pre and Post Disaster)
The course is targeted at participants who require knowledge and skills on the use of GIS and RS in their organization for disaster risk management, disaster management, or disaster risk reduction, Early Warning. Prior knowledge of GIS and Remote Sensing is not a requirement but will be an added advantage.
Short URL: http://www.preventionweb.net/go/21345